- The Dying Light -

I didn't sleep much that night.
When my sleepy eyes managed to flutter open for what must have been the twentieth time that morning, I finally saw the first signs of morning light.

The bright orange sun gleamed through the single window of the room, casting bronzed shadows across the cemented walls.

I glanced over towards where Jane was still sleeping. Her bed looked almost identical to mine. A simple twin bed with plain white linens.
I pulled my own sheets back, lifting myself out of the bed and stretching slightly.

- "Hey...Sully?" -
I called out towards my alter as I approached the window and peered out.
It really was beautiful. Nothing like I'd ever experienced in Zalgo's realm. Somehow, I already felt more alive than I ever had since I died.

- "Liu." -
Sully responded simply.
I felt his awareness build upon mine as he took partial control of our body.

"I don't want to hurt Jeff." I audibly spoke, just soft enough as to not awake Jane. There was a twinge of pain in my voice, and I was sure Sully could tell, considering what he said next.

He shifted control, sighing softly.
"I know." Sully groaned softly.
"You're a good person Liu. Too good. It's gonna kill you someday..." He shook his head, lifting us up to sit on the windowsill as he glanced in the direction of the rising sun.

A confused expression crossed my face as I responded. I had to let out a soft laugh.
"I'm already d-."

"No. Not like that." He cut me off.
"You care, Liu. Too much. About everyone else. That's what's gonna kill you. It'll destroy you. It'll eat away at you from the inside out." Sully spoke somberly for once, that raspy and typically anger coated tone fading away.

I blinked my eyes closed, turning away from the sun and kicking my feet against the floor quietly.
I was about to respond when Sully suddenly spoke again.

"You paint me out to be this arrogant, self-absorbed dick, but that's not fucking true. I just-..." Sully sighed, bringing a hand up to our forehead.

Several moments of silence passed before I spoke again, urging him on to continue as my curiosity roared.
"You just...what?" I asked softly.

"JUST NOTHING!" Sully exclaimed, crossing his arms suddenly.

I jumped at his volume, as did Jane.
I felt my face grow heated with embarrassment as I quickly apologized for being so loud.
Jane didn't seem to mind too much, in fact she seemed...concerned.

"Is everything okay?" She asked tenderly, sitting up in her bed.
I nodded quickly, grabbing my scarf from my bed and wrapping it around my neck.

"Yeah, I just...need some air." I responded, too apprehensive to look her in the eyes. 

She responded with a soft "Alright." Seconds later, I heard the shifting of sheets again.
I stepped out of the room, assuming she'd decided to ignore my random unsuspected outburst and head back to sleep.

I did as I had said, walking around the mansion for what felt like forever before finally finding a suitable exit.
I headed out the door, embracing the cool autumn breeze and calming sound of birds chirping softly from within the pine trees.
There was a small clearing in the forest which I proceeded to follow for a bit, needing a break from all of this insanity. I just needed to think.

I found a large desolate tree, separate from the others in the forest, and sat down against it, resting my head back against the trunk.
My eyes fluttered shut as I let my mind go silent for once.

The calmness of the breeze mixed with the stillness of the woods quickly lulled me to sleep for what felt like hours.
For once, I didn't feel a care in the world. That is, until I was suddenly awoken by the sharp sound of a twig snapping from behind me.