== one ==

{rowan's pov}

I walked outside. Today was a dreary day, cloudy and humid. I should get the clothes from the clothesline.

As I walked outside, I saw our neighbor's daughter, Doris Oliver, being dragged away by the Placaters. They were government officers, ordered to keep peace in the world today. They were run by men. They were ordered to take the girls away, to take them to the rich men. You could guess what happened with them.

Oh how I hated the male species.

They would treat us like slavegirls, they treated us as if we were mere ragdolls. It angered me, what did the women lack that could not please the men?

I especially hated the Placaters. They thought they were just the best of the best. I highly disagree. They were self-centered, stuck up ASSHOLES that lived off of the Prime Minister's money.

To hell with the Prime Minister.. to hell with that wretched man. I pray to god that all men would be sent to hell. So deep in hell that not even god would notice their cries of mercy.

Oh how I hated men.

Doris began to scream, her mother was beaten down to the floor. Her father was laughing at the two, holding his stomach as his rotten mouth let out gasps and laughs.

"For once! A woman is being put in her place." Mr. Oliver laughed before grabbing his beaten wife and slamming the door. Shrieks were echoing out the very next second. I winced at the sound and ran off to the back porch.

Clothes, Rowan. Think about getting the clothes off the clothesline..

But I couldn't help myself.

The bloodcurdling screams only reminded me of my own parents. The way my father raised his hands on her while I watched. I was only seven years old then.. and thirteen years later.. I still hear those screams.

After the death of my parents, I've managed to stay hidden from the hungry-eyed men. I've managed to keep my presence unknown, so going into town would be risky.

I looked back at the Olivers' house, my arms full of my worn out clothes. The Placaters were gone. And so was Doris.

She was a beauty. Her body had curves even I was envious of.

She must have gotten spotted by a man.

Poor soul.

I sighed as I walked back home, my empty stomach making strange noises. I locked the door and dumped the clothes in a woven basket and I opened the fridge.

There's nothing in the fridge..

My heart begins to beat wildly against my chest. I have to go to the grocery.. which was in town.

No worries, I'll just go late at night.

 There would be men wandering about at a time like this. So it would be perilous to go now.

I could go a few hours without eating, I've done it before.

So I waited. I folded the clothes, dusted the furniture, even flipped through those ancient photo albums that my mother had made when I was just a little baby.

Sometimes getting reminded b about the world before us only tells us about how much power men are inhabiting. I remember when my father told me when he was in love with my mother. I also remember the day when he killed my mother with his own hands, only killing himself later.

I shuddered at the memory. The world had made my father a monster.

Damn you, world.

I snapped the book shut and I glanced up at the clock.

Eleven 'o' clock..

It seems like the perfect time now.

I ran out the door, grabbing the money I found in my parent's savings. I ran out the door in sweatpants and a bulky sweater, the hood hiding my face. I ran out the door in high hopes and belief, that everything would be okay.

==========================================

Harry may or may not appear in the next chapter..

i hope you liked the background story of rowan, this chapter really introduces her dark mind and hatred for men.

and her terrible past.

please be patient, things will start to pick up. oh and if you dont know already, alpaca is my nickname. bc yes.

[alpaca]