Chapter 2: First Encounters

Here these should do it. I think we've got a great selection guys. He'll definately find one of these suitable.

I don't know Conrad he's very picky you know. She's pretty much gotta be perfect!

Whose gotta be perfect?

Jeez Emile don't sneak up on us like that.

Eeh not my problem you guys are a bunch a wimps!

Hey who you calling wimps?

You lot who else! Anyway what's with the girls pics?

Ohhhh they're for Brad. He's told us to short list the most suitable candidates for his upcoming wedding, which will unite all the factions under one ultimate and supreme rule.

Gee Toni dramatic much. Why don't you guys attend the Hospital charity gala. Everyone whose anyone is supposed to be there and brother dearest and stare at the wares before sampling!

Too cliche and he'd never agree. He hates those things.

Yeah Toni's right. Brad would never attend even with this shortlist.

Correction boys "hated" these things. If he wants to find the most suitable girl from the mafia factions this is the best place to do it.

Cheerio...Ohhhh and Nonna made Canolis...she said to tell you.

What you're telling us now. Emile!!!! There better be some left!

Whoa where's the fire boys?

Ahhhh the best canolis...Nonna let me kiss your magical hands!

There's coffee too boys. Where's Brad?

Ohhhh he had to go into work. We can have his share not a problemo.

Bradley is at work and what are you boys doing?

A very very important job Nonna. We're looking for your future grand daughter-in-law.

Nonna gives the three boys a very questioning look asking La Verita?

Onesto onesto Nonna it's from the council itself. Gramps himself told Brad.

Quel vecchio...let me just... Eat boys I'll be right back.

They both slap Toni at the back of the head. Look what you've done now. We're gonna be in a hell of a lot of trouble.

Just then Gramps voice rings out from the study.... BOYS!!!!! In here now

Great... Now you've done it!

Yesss Gramps

What's this I'm hearing of selecting girls for Bradley?

No it's just short listing Gramps he's going to have the final say of who he you know gets to know and well marry.

What sort of sick idea is this? Who does this whatever happened to courting a lady.

Well he is pressed for time and well he's not the bachelor that he can date multiple women at once... They might get offended... Right

Right yes of course that's true...hmmm but there has to be a better way.

I did suggest a better way but noone pays attention.

God Emile I know you're Bradley's sister but please stop sneaking up on us all the time.

Hey guys it's not my fault your hearing impaired or not observant of just incapable of being good gangsters.

What the... How did you even come to that conclusion?

OK enough of that... What's your more humane suggestion Emile?

Well Gramps I'm only divulging this because these idiots couldn't come up with a better idea, Bradley included.

Yes yes Emile on with it please.

Fine well I was just saying that it's better to vet out the girls at the hospital charity ball. Even if it's just the short list at least he can have a conversation with all of them without you know arousing suspicion or getting on the headlines of every paper.

Hmm that's a great idea Emile. Now do we have an invitation.

Well Ava is currently in charge as her Vio Antoine is away for a bit.

That's perfect. I'll give Ava a call.

Actually she's perfect they all say in unison.

Gramps eyes are as round as saucers! You all know Bradley hates her. He still thinks she was the one responsible for you getting shot Conrad.

I know Gramps but she made me promise. You know what happened. What else could I have done.

What I don't understand is that we've all gotten over it except him. How long will he hold this ridiculous grudge for Gramps?

Good question Emile... Wish I had an answer to it Mia Bella.

That's it that's it Gramps! I can't believe I didn't think of this before. I've got work to do I'll see you guys tonight. Talk to Ava Gramps and get the invites for us all. We have work to do. You guys have to make her a profile and attach it to the list of selected candidates.

What... Whoa we ain't got no death wish Princess.

No listen...I'm going to give her a make over. He won't be able to look away. I've got work to do and so do you guys. Work on the this union will be the best of all the factions. I'm off and DON'T Stuff this up!

Jeez does noone trust us around here.

Let's get to work boys.

At the Grey-Constance General hospital.

Hey Emile what brings you here? Is everything alright?

Yes Ava darling of course it is. I'm your fairy godmother and I'm here to whisk you away to an afternoon of pampering before the Grand charity ball.

Thanks so much Emile but I still have a million things to get done before tonight you know.

No sweetie I don't know because you have a very experienced and capable PA who has organised so many of these that you don't have enough fingers and toes too count on. Come with me before I call in the cavalry.

Should I even dare to ask?

Our two joined at the hip very politically correct sisters.

OK fine I'll come with you. Anything but them. They'll turn me over.

Now that wasn't so painful was it?

After an afternoon of pampering and a complete makeover, it's the moment of truth.

Come on Emile stop fussing everything is fine. Every single hair is in place! I have to be there with my siblings greeting the guests.

Yes yes let's go. Phone pings with multiple messages.

Wow you're popular tonight.

Ohhhh you have no idea Ava!

Across the Grand ballroom as Ava and Emile enter

This better be worth it boys. You know how much I despise these things.

We are very aware but this was the best way to see all your support listed candidates and mingle with them. Now at 9 o'clock clock there's Beverly. She's the daughter of...

Who is that with Emile?

Who... Ohhhh that's Ava... Dr Ava Luciano.

Ava... Luciano a doctor... I don't remember her looking like that!