Chapter 4 : The Challenge

The next morning Brad turns up to the hospital. There is no time like the present he believes.

"Good morning Betsy, I'm here to see Dr Luciano"

Good morning Sir, is she expecting you? I don't have an appointment scheduled for anyone.

"Where are my manners I'm Bradley Constine and I did not make an appointment.

"Just a moment sir ,  I will have to check with her. Dr Luciano does not entertain walk ins."
She gives Ava a call and after explaining the situation to her. She very firmly explains to Brad that this is a very big exception and will not be entertained again.

Nodding his understanding he knocks on the door and enters upon a "Come in" being uttered.

"Thank you for making an exception Dr Luciano and seeing me".

"It's not a problem, after all your family does own half of this hospital. Now how can I help you?"

"Well firstly you are doing a wonderful job of running this fine establishment in the absence of your father... So thank you". She's looking at me suspiciously, with a raised eyebrow and waiting for me to continue. Since when did she become so suspicious. Where is the innocent and readily trusting Ava go.

"Ahhhmm...Thank you for your kind words, I'm sure that this wasn't your purpose of visiting though".

Who is this woman and what has she done with the sweet innocent, trusting Ava. She's like the polar opposite of who I was expecting.

"Well I was hoping to catch up with you, for lunch or dinner?" Whichever suits you".

Whichever suits you?  Who are you?  Bradley Constine never suits anyone's schedule. She better agree!!!! Looks like I'm not the only one surprised. It's just a moment and she regains her composure. Ahh haa looks like some things never change.

"That's all well and good but I'll have to decline as I have a meeting after this and it may or may not run through lunch. I'll have to do my rounds after that".

Haaa take that Bradley Constine! What does this idiot take me for, I'm not some swooning airhead who will agree to anything that he says. He seems shocked to say the least. His intense Hazel eyes seem to be searching mine. They are the same intense, with a determined purpose, hard and unflinching. Well he's got another thing coming if he thinks I'm going to be affected by his glare.
He'll have to work for it! Let's see what you've got.

"Well if you change your mind here's my card". It was nice seeing you again Ava and I meant what I said you're doing a superb job.. With everything". "I'll be taking my leave now, I'm hoping you will join me".

With that he's out of my office. I've smiled a farewell but am so confused by his behavior. There is something very wrong here and I've got a very bad feeling brewing at the pit of my stomach. Call it a woman's intuition.
This is not The Bradley Constine that everyone knows and fears. He doesn't know the word quit in any facet of his life.

"Ma'am it's time for the board meeting"

"Yes, thank you Betsy, I'll be right there".

I've got bigger problems then Bradley Constine.

Ava's P. O. V

The full board of directors is gathered for the yearly budget allocations meeting. All but the representative for the Constance which stands for Constine Industries. Normally Gramps  is the representative or he sends one of his grandsons. Both the Grey and Constance families own 49% each and there's 2% where the board has the power to step in.

It's always been very fair but right now there is a decision pending for an additional oncology wing and cancer care centre. I'm really really hoping that today is the day everything is approved and we can allocate funding and move on.

We start the meeting and there is a knock on the door. Oliver my manager pops his head in and announces the arrival of the Constance representative.

All heads turn towards the door and in walks Bradley Constine like he owns the place. Which he kind of does but just the way he walks in and demands attention. I can see the females swooning and the males looking at him with respect and envy.

He's always had this effect everywhere he goes. Great just great, I knew he would have something planned. He has never been one to just let things pass. It HAS to be his way or the highway.

Taking a deep breath, to calm my nerves I begin. Thank you Mr Constine for attending this board of directors meeting. I then go on to present all the data supporting the need for the additional oncology wing and a cancer care centre.

Everyone seems convinced as far as I can see. I open the floor for question time and there aren't any... Until Mr Bradley Constine raises a hand, with his captive audience he declares that since he's not aware of the numbers, he needs a few days to study the reports and then make an informed decision.

To say I'm shell shocked, would be the understatement of the century. This is a man who has Never ever in the history of this hospital, been interested in having any contribution of any kind. Not even charitably, last night was the first and now this.

The worst part is that the board members all agree to give him the extra time requested. He is a man that demands subservience. Well he's come to the wrong place, if that's what he's looking for!

The board agrees to convene again on Friday to reach a decision. I'm frustrated and beyond irritated. I don't know if they're scared of him or just want to get on his good side. He's a good friend to have. No one wants to cross him in any way. They need him to call in favours from time to time.

There is only one man who can help me now, Gramps!

As I'm lost in my own thoughts. Everyone takes their leave and I'm standing there with all my paperwork. As I'm putting everything away, a hand is waved in front of my face.

"Since you're free now shall we get lunch?"

There it is right there God's gift to women kind, he's got another thing coming!

"I'm sorry I've got to do my rounds. It will take some time".

"Not a problem, I've cleared up my schedule for today. It will be good seeing you at work".

" Really, didn't you qualify as a doctor as well?". What is his deal?

"Yes, I did but I haven't practiced in years. Should be good seeing how things are running here".

"Fine, you're also a part of this hospital. Follow me".

"I plan on being much much more Dr Luciano".

"Did you say something?"

"Nothing, lead the way".