1 | introducing mars stark

c h a p t e r   o n e
i n t r o d u c i n g  m a r s  s t a r k

     MARGO STARK HAD always been terrible in social situations

     MARGO STARK HAD always been terrible in social situations. She didn't understand people, or the intricate way that their minds seemed to work.

     In fact, when Pepper Potts first learned of the girl's abilities, her first remark was something along the lines of, "It must be pretty great, being able to understand people's minds like that." But Margo did not understand.

     Reading minds was not so much a gift, as it was a curse. The way people thought sometimes darkened the world that Margo had tried so desperately to create; and at times, it drove the quiet young girl, mentally insane.

     There was one time, a particularly haunting day for Natasha Romanoff, that the dark thoughts and memories of the tortured assassin, forced Margo to nearly end her life over the unbearable sadness. It seems trivial now, but back then, other people's depression felt significantly like her own.

     It was on that day when Tony Stark made the serum. Dubbing it: a sure fire way to keep Margo mentally stable. Or at least, thats what he said when he handed her the bottle. The only problem was that the serum didn't last long, maybe only thirty seconds. So the new issue of how-to-make-it-last, arose.

     That's when Pepper had an idea.

     Well, she thought the idea as more of a joke, and she was never going to say it, but luckily for Margo, she didn't have to. Thus, serum lollies became Margo's newfound best friend. They could last up to four hours each, thanks to Tony's science and apparent candy making skills, and they tasted like cherries! (Margo's favorite flavor)

     With her delicious lollipops and awesome abilities ready whenever she needed them, Margo's world was beginning to look bright again, and despite her strange thought process, she started to open up more frequently.

     That was when they dubbed her, 'Mars'

     Not only because is fit as a nickname, given her actual one, but also because she spoke like she was from another planet. Which of course, she was.

     Her sentences were always short and blunt, nearly emotionless. It took years for her to sound even remotely human, and even when she had accomplished normalcy, the nickname still stuck. Thus, 'Mars' Evelyn Stark, the strange alien girl who showed up on Tony Stark's doorstep when she was ten, was born.

four years later

     "Happy Birthday dear Margo, Happy  Birthday to you!"

     Pepper Potts and Wanda Maximoff, watched patiently as Margo Stark pulled a cherry-red sucker from her lips, leaning slightly in her chair, and blowing out the fifteen candles placed haphazardly before her. They clapped as the young girl smiled. "You two really didn't need to do this. I mean, you have a mission to pack for Wanda, and Pepper, you–"

     "Would rather be spending a birthday with you, than doing my paperwork." The woman remarked, poking the girl's nose gently.

     Margo was beaming, and as thirty seconds went by –the serum thus leaving her system– the kind thoughts that came from her best friend and motherly figure, warmed her young heart.

     Wanda laughed, nudging the girl with her elbow. "Yeah, I can pack later. Don't worry about me." She joshed, using her finger to scoop a bit of frosting into her mouth. "Plus, cake is always better than work."

     Her words couldn't have come at a worse time, seeing as Tony Stark himself decided to enter the kitchen at that precise moment, a displeased look on his features. "I'm sorry, did I hear you correctly, Wanda?"

     The Scarlett Witch turned quickly in her seat, eyes wide as she realized she'd been caught. "I–ugh. . . Margo did it!"

     "Hey!"

     Tony merely laughed, looking at Margo with a sincere nod. "Happy Birthday Mars, I'd completely forgotten." He stated honestly, and Margo smiled in return. It was just like him to forget, and she didn't blame him. It's not like she made an effort to have him remember. Her birthday just wasn't all that special to her. She never really had parties when she lived on Knowhere.

     Pepper however all but threw her shoe at the man, yelling about how he shouldn't forget his own daughter's birthday, before going rigid at the memory that they were on a break. This made Margo a bit sad, even as she watched all three of them leave. One feeling depressed (Tony), one  feeling confused (Pepper), and one (Wanda) shooting her an apologetic look.

     Margo sighed. This time tomorrow, she would be all alone at Avengers Tower. Everyone else would be on a mission, and Pepper would be back to ignoring Tony. It was like she was a child going through an ugly divorce, and she did not enjoy it.

     Seeing as she was alone however, she tossed her sucker into the nearest bin, at sat at the counter to enjoy her cake.

     Of course, living in Avengers Tower, one can only be alone for so long, and it wasn't even a minute later that Vision phased through the wall opposite her. (even though there was a door just slightly to his left)

     This however, didn't bother Margo in the slightest, because Vision was the one, living thing in the universe, whose mind Margo could not read.

"Good afternoon, Margo." The robotic man remarked, making his way to the other side of the room, and leaving before Margo could even respond. All she could do was blink, and wonder about how strange of a home Avengers HQ was.

Then, in her moment of solitude, she let her mind wander.

Five years. . .

It had been five years since she escaped Knowhere and found her place amongst the ranks of the Avengers. Now she was a crime fighting, mind reading, super hero; but back then, back then she was a crazed, thieving, manipulative brat; and she never wanted to go back to that.

She gently closed her eyes, taking in a heavy breath, and pushing herself out of her chair. She carefully unwrapped another lollipop, placing it between her teeth as she hesitantly tossed the remainder of her uneaten desert, and with a heavy heart, made her way back into the lobby of Avengers Tower.

Yes? No? Maybe so? Let me know what you guys think about the first chapter of the first book from my Eunoia series! It's a bit short, but don't worry! They'll get longer. This was just a bit of an introduction chapter.

What are your first impressions of Margo? Do you like the idea behind her lollipops? And what about her origins? What sort of dark mysteries do you think it holds? Let me know in the comments!