3 | an accident

c h a p t e r t h r e e
a n a c c i d e n t

     WHAT HAPPENED IN Lagos was an accident, and an unfortunate one at that

WHAT HAPPENED IN Lagos was an accident, and an unfortunate one at that. Everyone– the news, civilians, the Wakandan monarchy, they were all at Wanda Maximoff's throat, and Margo was trying her best to comfort the second youngest Avenger.

"Wanda, it wasn't your fault–"

"Turn the TV back on. They were being very specific." She responded sourly, glaring at Steve who now stood in the open doorway.

Margo frowned. She didn't like seeing her closest friend so upset, but what was she supposed to do? Wanda made a quick choice in a single fleeting moment. She did what we all do everyday: make a decision. Was it the right one? Who knows, but it was the only one that made sense to her in that moment. The girl was only human afterall. Powers or not.

     Steve sighed heavily, rubbing a hand along his tired face. "I should've clocked that bomb vest long before you had to deal with it." He stated firmly, sitting at the edge of her bed, "Rumlow said 'Bucky' and all of a sudden. . . I was a sixteen-year-old kid again, in Brooklyn; and people died. It's on me."

     "It's on both of us." Wanda countered.

     Margo shook her head, resting her hands on both of their stiffened shoulders. "You saved thousands of lives, you two, but at a price. It always comes at a price. This whole damn job does." She inquired, struggling to speak around the sucker she had yet to take from her lips.

     Steve smiled up at her, though it didn't quite reach his eyes.

     Just then however, before Margo could speak again, Vision phased through the wall a mere foot from the open door, and Margo couldn't help but burst into laughter.

     "Vis, we talked about this!" Wanda suddenly yelped, casting an irritated glance at her toppled over best friend.

     "Yes, but the door was open. So I assumed that–" he stopped mid sentence, realizing his mistake as he turned to Steve in slight embarrassment. "Captain Rogers and Margo wished to know when Mr. Stark was arriving." He explained, and Steve nodded in understanding as he stood from his spot.

      "Thank you. We'll be right down." He replied, giving Vision a curt nod.

     The robot/man (Margo could never decide what to call him) then turned to the wall, but took a slight step to the left. "I–I'll use the door." He began, but stopped when he seemingly remembered something. "Oh, and apparently he's brought a guest."

     Margo furrowed her brows. Tony Stark rarely invited 'guests' to the tower, and when he did, Margo usually wasn't invited to be around. "Who is it?" She hesitantly asked, curiosity lacing her tone.

     Vision then turned to her with an off-putting look. Clearly, he too was confused by the guest, but after a moment replied, "The Secretary of State."