The Lexogan Forges II.

CORINTHIAN BLACKSTONE
The Lexogan Forges

The next morning I stood in the research lab, in the den.

I did not know much about the business of science, except what my parents let me encounter and the few practical and theories done in school.

This was state of the art.

Mum bent, examining the paintings. ‘We’d need to restore the painting without damaging its magic.

‘Could this be a fool’s errand?’ dad joked.

Mum glared at him. ‘Honey I told you to wear the nose guard and no touching anything without protective gloves.’ She shook her head in consternation. ‘Ian sonny, go call the crew that we are ready.’ She said.

‘Alright, you can’t begin without me.’ I warned.

‘We can’t’ she said, ruffling my head. I ducked away. I was fifteen; she could not be doing that anymore.

‘Even if we wanted to we need an art specialist and no ordinary one to begin with.’ Dad wiped his mouth with his handkerchief.

They always discussed their work during dinner back home.

‘I am an art specialist.’ Mum rolled her eyes. ‘This is my lifelong goal.’

‘Tell me about it.’ He husked, circling the table where she stood.

‘They’ll be here any minute… behave!’ mum giggled.

How mum managed to get her crew over in such short time was a wonder.

As it came as a surprise when top board members from Unification accompanied by the F.A summoned us for assistance with a personal mission.

The crew crowded in the parlour of the chalet chattering in excitement.

I cleared my throat. ‘We are restoring the painting and cracking the code of the seal.’ I chipped.

‘Okay.’ One man said, wiping water off his lips.

They all carried their equipment as Professor Nigel and the counsellor sat a distance away from the younger crowd.

They were historians, chatting about past wars and curses and magical insects, deep in quiet conversation.

‘The examination is about to begin.’ I said politely.

‘Thank you son’ Professor Nigel said.

I was off, at close hills with the crew.

The sophisticated equipment blew my mind.

They spent time discussing the forms and symbols of the symbols.

Finally, the analysis determined that it was of the forgotten dynasty, confirmed by Professor Nigel.

Light sparked out of the blue as soon as the painting grew clearer, after hours.

It was transparent so that when I passed my arm through it tingled, bringing music to my ears.

Mum slapped my hand away. ‘Wear your gloves or you’ll get sucked into the curse. It’s magic.’

‘Sure’ I shook my head, recovering from the trance I had slowly been pulled into.

It felt like forever to crack the code of the seal and bind and cast out the magic. ‘Who’s going to go in and try to bring them out?’ mum asked.

‘We should vote.’ Dad suggested.

‘It’s been hours. I say we take a break and come back to it.’ Professor Nigel suggested.