Chapter 28

Itachi froze. "Why?" he finally asked, still trying to get over his shock. Naruto took a shuddering breath and looked down at the flowers in the middle of the table. The blond pressed his lips together softly and swallowed. He could see Naruto playing with the buttons on his coat as he took some time to gather his thoughts. "Did I do something wrong, Naruto?" Itachi asked softly, looking at Naruto.

"No! You didn't do anything wrong. You're an amazing person." Naruto said, not wanting Itachi to be blaming himself for this. Naruto tugged at his bag strap that laid across his lap, trying to stop himself from running away like he was escaping. "I... It is me, Itachi. I have given a lot of thought into this and..." Naruto paused, not sure that he was going in the right direction with his explanation. He looked at the man across from him, Itachi had his fingers interlocked together around the cup of coffee. It was a gesture that Itachi does when he was anxious or upset but is trying to keep himself steady. Naruto ached to reach over and hold Itachi's hands in his, to reassure Itachi that everything was going to be okay but he knew that if he reached over to touch Itachi that whatever little resolve he had was going to crumble. Naruto swallowed, this was harder than his imagination of when he had rehearsed it ten thousand times over in his head.

"It had been wonderful being with you, you are the kindest and most beautiful person ever. I am grateful for the opportunity to be with you, Itachi. But I do also believe that all good things will always come to an end for me. You, however, you have so much more great things that will come your way and I am just hindering it. I cannot do that to a person I have loved more and more every day." Naruto paused, blinking back the tears that have gathered once again in his eyes. It felt like absolute death to be breaking up with the first person that he has ever loved and the only person that he ever felt so much love for. "I will be out of your house immediately. Goodbye Itachi." Naruto stood, unable to continue any longer. He heard Itachi stand at the same time and a hand came out to grab his wrist as he turned to leave.
"Why? I don't understand why you believe good things would come to an end for you. You are the purest soul that deserves the very best, Naruto. I-" Itachi was cut off when Naruto tried to eased his hand off.
"And that I did receive the very best. You are the best thing that has ever happened to me and I am so blessed by it. I love you so much but I think you deserve the best too and I am simply not the best."
"But Naruto! You are the first person I have ever loved. Please don't leave." Itachi pleaded softly, eyes shining with unshed tears. Naruto swallowed, looking away.
"Itachi please, don't make this any harder." Naruto turned and left, the feeling of Itachi's hand lingering on his being. His tears begun streaming down his face, making him wipe furiously at it. He had made the decision to break up with Itachi and crying now isn't going to mend his broken heart. He had been the one who decided to take his own heart and shatter it into the many pieces. He should not be crying as he did not deserve to cry, for he did something good... he did good for Itachi's sake.

Itachi's hand trembled his the feeling of Naruto's skin when their hands touched for a brief moment remained and then the shock of coldness hit him as Naruto walked out the door. To him, it felt like a tight slap across the face when Naruto wanted to break up. The pain was immediate and what followed was the lingering throbs of pain which should go away over time but right now, it seems to be hurting more and more. It feels like his heart is going to explode out of his chest from the pressure and pain he is experiencing. Itachi stared at the plant on the table, still shocked by the events that unfolded. He had thought that he had given Naruto everything but it seems that it's not good enough. Why had Naruto decided to break up with him when there was clearly nothing wrong with the relationship? Why is he so self-deprecating?... Itachi froze, had Naruto sunk so deep into his depression and Itachi didn't even realise? The Uchiha tried thinking back to Naruto's behaviour and attempting to see if there was anything that was out of the ordinary.
'I must try harder.' Itachi thought to himself, determined to get Naruto back and help the blond keep himself together.