Chapter 30

Itachi had texted Naruto multiple times, hoping to get a reply back from the blond but nothing. The text was read but never answered. He should have seen it coming, he should have known from the moment his parents disapproved that his mother would try anything to make sure that what they have disapproved of is disposed of.

It had been about 2 weeks since they broke up and Itachi had not seen a single sight of his secretary. Naruto was working from a distance like Mikoto had instructed him to do so, only interacting with Itachi regarding work and nothing more. Itachi's mother had been avoiding the conversation about his suspicions on what happened with Naruto every time he tried bringing it up.

"Why do you always seem like you're interrogating, Kaa-san?" Sasuke asked, leaning back onto the couch at Itachi's place. Itachi looked up from the pot he was stirring before turning his attention back to the soup. The younger Uchiha waited patiently for his brother to give him an answer, knowing that his brother wouldn't do things without a reason. Itachi sighed as he turned off the stove when he deemed the soup is ready, Sasuke took that as a cue to stand up to help bring the food to the table. They ate in silence, Sasuke still not receiving an answer to his question and Itachi still unsure whether he should share it with Sasuke.

"Naruto didn't break up with me because he wanted to." Itachi started softly, making Sasuke look up from his meal, confused. Itachi pushed at his rice with his spoon. "He... I believe that Kaa-san had something to do with why Naruto decided to break up."

"Why?" The younger Uchiha's forehead creased slightly as his brows knitted together, unable to hide his shock and confusion but also not seeing how the two are connected. Itachi took a few bites from his food before continuing. He explained to Sasuke about what Naruto said and wrote, talking about how odd their mom was acting whenever he brought up Naruto. Sasuke's frown deepened as he begins to see what Itachi was trying to say. "What are you going to do about it now?"

"I've been trying to talk to Naruto about it but he is not replying."

"Then how have you guys been working?" Sasuke asked, puzzled as to how the two managed to get any work done if they can't communicate with each other. Itachi sighed and told Sasuke that Naruto might be ignoring him but the blond would not ignore his responsibilities in the job.

"Do you want me to try to talk to Naruto?" Sasuke asked, patting the pillow beside him absentmindedly. Itachi rolled his shoulders, trying to ease the tension but all he got from his body was painful protests. He nodded at Sasuke, worried about Naruto. He knew that Naruto wasn't taking care of himself and now that the blond was alone again... Itachi swallowed, he didn't even want to think about it. The man considered telling Sasuke a little about Naruto's... self-deprecating attitude but decided against it, knowing that it would be disrespectful to Naruto to be blabbing out things that he might not want other people to know about. But... someone has to check, he would have wished it to be him but right now that is not very possible.

"Sasuke," Itachi called out when his brother was at the door, about to leave. The aforementioned man paused at the door, turning around to let Itachi know that he had his attention. He watched his brother hesitate a little before continuing, "please remember that Naruto is very good at acting." It was simple but that told Sasuke enough, he'd have to tread carefully and read everything about Naruto more carefully to get the correct information about the blond.

Naruto sighed to himself, tired from the lack of sleep and have been working constantly for the past 48 hours. He hadn't had much sleep since he moved out from Itachi's place a few weeks ago. Itachi's place offered more of a homely feel to Naruto even though it was not his own place - heck it was way better than anywhere that he had ever lived at. Itachi's place was warm, not warm in the physical sense but it bought Naruto relief and happiness just stepping into the house even if no one was home. "Home..." Naruto mused to himself as he looked out the broken window, the window that he had jumped out of to save himself from the landlord many times.

"Why is that place home and not here?" Naruto asked the cold, empty apartment quietly. He looked around the rundown apartment as if he could find the answer within his reach. Deep down inside he knew the answer, he knew why he considered Itachi's place home and not this apartment. Naruto swallowed thickly, "shit." he muttered to himself as tears welled up in his eyes once again. The mere thought of Itachi always made his heart ache and his already broken soul crumbling even more.

'I really hope he finds someone good for him. He deserves it.'