Chapter-4

Althea.

March 2010.

He is coming. I can hear his steps loud and clear, hitting the asphalt. He'll be inside any moment now.

I can hear the TV playing in the living room. Everyone is out there, in the open for him to do as he please. I must warn them of his arrival.

I tried to move, but I couldn't. Adjusting my eyes to the sudden dimness that fell upon me, I tried to make out my surroundings.

Oh my god! This can't be happening. I am stuffed inside a small cabin in our kitchen. That's the reason I can't move.

My voice, I can't find my voice either. I try to speak, but I can't. I try to scream, but I can't draw inadequate air.

How do I help them now? How do I warn them of his arrival? Suddenly a small gap formed between the doors of the cabin making enough space for me to be able to see everything going on the outside.

The doorbell rang, and my dad went to answer it. I tried to shout... ask him not to open it. Let him know about the monster standing on the other side of the door.

I can feel my lips moving but there is no sound coming through them.

I could see him enter the house, smiling menacingly. I could see fear dripping from my mom's face. I can hear anger radiating from my dad's voice. I can see my dad getting ready to fight.

No dad, don't do that. He has a gun. You can't win over him dad. He will kill you. Please call the police.

My mom came towards me and said something, but I can't understand what she is speaking. She is saying something. What is she saying? Why can't I hear anything? She turned back.

Mom, no... don't go mom. Don't go back there please. I need to stop her. I can hear her screaming. Inhuman shrieks of pain leaving my mind raw and numb.

I have to help them. I can't let him hurt them. I try to push the doors open, but they won't budge.

The next time I looked back towards the living room, both my parents are on the floor and he is coming for me. I can hear his voice calling my name. I tried to be as still as I can.

The harshness in his voice made me want to close my ears, but the fear of being caught kept me frozen in my place.

Suddenly, he was standing in front of me. I kept my head bowed down with my eyes shut tightly. I could feel him shift closer, leaning down and in one swift movement, he pulled me out of the cabin.

"No, let me go. Please... let... they..." I kept babbling and now; my parents lifeless bodies are lying in front of my eyes and ran towards them.

"Mom... dad... no mom.... please wake up mom. Dad... he is coming. Please help me dad," I pleaded. Suddenly, a pair of strong hands surrounded me making me panic further.

"No, leave me. You can't take me away from them. Please leave me. Don't kill me," I was begging that person, whoever it is.

"Shh muneca. It's me. No one will harm you baby. Just relax," the person behind me said in a soothing voice. I left the comfort of my parent's bodies and pushed myself into the hands of the owner of that voice.

"No... he is coming. Take me away please," I said clutching on to him harder.

"Thea.. baby please. Open your eyes muneca. It's just a bad dream. He will be gone the moment you open your eyes," the voice said. Is he right? Will he be gone the moment I open my eyes? Maybe he is right. I can't help but believe the truth in his voice.