Chapter-17

Althea

'I am fine'
Simple three words. However, the weight they hold is unimaginable. I don't remember a single time I said those words and meant it. I have been expected to say those same words hundreds of times... After my parents' death.... every time we shifted to a new town... Every night I had a nightmare. I easily lied all those times to all those people but now, I couldn't. Not with Aaron. So only thing I know I should do is avoid the question itself. That's exactly what I am doing.

It's been two days and I successfully managed to dodge any and every attempt of Aaron to meet me. I requested Kay not to let him in either. She was reluctant in the beginning but finally gave in. She always does.

Kay was a complete different story though. It's been two days since the incident, and she is yet to leave the house. As soon as Marcus brought me home, she panicked. I expected it but the way she reacted was more than normal worry. She kept talking about some person, and I had no idea why. After a lot of convincing from Marcus that he knew who the culprits were, she finally relaxed. However, she wouldn't stop checking on me every five minutes as if I'd magically disappear.

My phone started vibrating again in its nightstand making my heart pickup speed. This ringing has been persistent since the day it happened, and it's always from one of the guys. I messaged them saying I wouldn't be at school for a day or two because of my relative's sudden arrival.

I asked Aaron not to come home either for the same reason. I just hope my pathetic excuse can keep the boys away until I heal. Physically at least.

Will I able to heal completely ever again? I don't think so. My parent's death marked me in so many ways that I still carry the scars from that night. Only recently did they start healing and now; I have no idea how long it takes for these new scars to be healed.

I had no idea how long its been since I curled up on this bed but the thought of getting up and facing outside world was too much. The pain and panic were still too raw and now, anger added to them making it all worse.

The door behind me opened making me groan internally. I know it's Kayla again. It's been almost an hour since her last check, and I almost hoped she gave up on her duty. I understand her worry but pretending to be normal again and again is tiring. So instead, I closed my eyes to pretend sleep.

The person moved closer and then, I sensed it. It's not Kayla. I jumped up in my place immediately turning towards my intruder.

"Aaron. What are you doing here?" I questioned. My voiced sounded weird from all the crying but that's last of my concerns right now.

He stood there motionless and soundless. His gaze on me was steady and intense making me hold my breath.

"Aaron," I called again.

He fell down to his knees with a thud instead of answering, making me gasp. Not once taking his eyes off my face, he cupped my cheeks and released a painful growl.

"Aaron," I tried to bring him out of whatever trance he is in again.

"I am sorry Thea," he spoke in almost inaudible voice.

"What? Why are you apologizing?" I asked in confusion.

"I promised to protect you but once again, you were all alone when you needed me the most. I am sorry Muñeca."

"God. Not this. When will you stop blaming yourself for everything that happens in this world Aaron?
Wait. How did you know? How are you even here? I asked Kay not to let you in," I asked.

"Yes you did. But she knew better," he answered making me glare at him.

"What happened Thea?" He queried.