Chapter-3

March 2010

Althea.

"Tell me again, why am I finding the distance between moon and sun. What are scientists for if they make me do this shit?" Ray whined for the hundredth time tonight. Aaron and Ray came over to my place for our homework session. It became a routine these days to get our work done together. Its more fun and way too easy since the three of us partnered in most subjects.

"Stop whining Ray. What are you? A pre kg kid?" I said rolling my eyes.

"My my! Look at the arrogance of this child,"  Ray said dramatically placing his hand across his heart in mock hurt.

"Aaron. How many are left?" I ask ignoring Ray.

"One," he says looking up from his book. Aaron is smartest of us all. He could recite emglish poetry like a pro and he could talk about historical wars with equal expertise and when it comes to Mathematics, you can say he is no less to a genius.

"I am down to 3 and once we are done, we are leaving. With or without this whiny kid," I point towards Ray with my pencil.

"Ofcourse, we cant keep icecream waiting for some idiot who still cries over homeworks," Aaron replied with a chuckle. Before Ray could retort, his phone started ringing and his face turned serious as he listened to the person on call.

"Its Ree. That asshole father of hers is back. Probably for more money and my baby girl is alone. Mom got a call and left almost an hour ago. She said she wanted to spend time with Ree. Fuck! I should have known better than leaving Ree alone with that woman," Ray mumbles more to himself.

"Ray, relax. Your house is 10 mins from here. We can run there in no time," I pointed. Ray's step father leeched off his mom even after the divorce and his visits are not too pretty to say the least.

"No. You guys stay back complete the work. I dont want you around that asshole," he said pointing me.

"I am coming," Aaron said in a voice that left no place for debate.

"No Ron. You are not. I am not dealing with him tonight. I ll leave it to mother dearest. She needs to learn to clean up her own mess and for leaving Ree after promising a day out, she deserves it.

I ll just take Ree away from that place. I ll probably take her to that games place we frequented. Its been a while since we had our bro sis session," he said with a wink but the I could feel the simmering anger in his voice.

"Alright. Keep us posted and drop a message if you change your mind and want to teach him a lesson," Aaron said as Ray made his way out.

Soon after Ray left, we were done with our works and resumed the movie we left before startimg our home work with popcorn and ice creams in front of us.

Half way way through the movie, Kay came home in a weird mood. She was all smiles most if the times she came back but tonight, she was like a ticking bomb.

"Hey. I ll be back in a minute," I said to Aaron and made my way toward Kay's room

"Kay. Are you alright?" I asked her, entering her room.

"Ohh yes sweetheart. I am totally fine," she answered, not looking at me.

"Kay, stop lying. Tell me what's bothering you," I asked again.

Kay had never been a sharing type. She was just 10 years older than me, but death of her sister and brother-in-law at age of 20 and having to take responsibility of their 10-year-old daughter at that age made her older beyond years. She kept giving and giving, and now she forgot what it is like to have someone else to share her burdens. Sometimes I feel guilty for ruining her life and her dreams.