Chapter One: Pallet Town

"Teal! Switch already!"

I fumbled with the sword on my back, the leather handle was slipping in my grip as I tried to jolt it out of its scabbard. Stupid game wouldn't even allow me to carry a sword at my side. Though that still wasn't the reason why I stood still instead of charging in wildly to help my friend fight off the «Thicket Spider».

"Teal do you want EXP or not?!" My friend nimbly dodged out of the large arachnid's hairy reach. Her movements were sharp and almost graceful. The spider's fangs bubbled with yellow-tinted white foam.

"Hold on!" I yelled back, "I am just-uh- waiting for an opening!"

Her dagger, «Dark», began to illuminate with an intense purple light that swallowed the dark wet forest that clutched us. I could tell which skill she was getting ready to use.

"I can beat this thing without you, you know? If you want some EXP you better get a hit in," she huffed defiantly as she waited for an opening.

I held my sword, finally, and looked at the overgrown digital monster. I widened my stance and lifted the blade over my head. Immediately, I felt the intense heat start to emanate from my blade as my sword skill began to activate. I close my free hand to stop it's shaking. The spider's fangs were ghastly and sharp, sweat began to trickle down my forehead. I heard a small 'thwing' and I knew my skill was ready. I drove my sword down as I had done so excitedly before during the beta. The movement was fluid enough for the system to register it. Flames from my blade licked the air as it swung down on to the «Thicket Spider». I saw red polygons spew from the wound that I had inflicted and I watched as the health bar shrunk into the yellow.

"Magenta go now, hurry!" I screeched, as I backed away quickly from the monster. I knew that my «Fire Slant» would have been somewhat effective, with fire being a weakness of the terrifying creature, but not enough to kill it on my own. Magenta, with emphasized dramatics, followed through with her own skill and brought down her dagger. In a horrific crackle, the mob shattered into thousands of luminous pieces.

I let out a shaky sigh as I let my sword drop to my side. Magenta walked towards me, a sassy sway in her hips. She sheathed her dagger and let her piercing green eyes drive her new point "I am better than you" in a semi-sarcastic manner.

"Congrats partner! Looks like you get some EXP after all." She bumped me with her hip and smiled with false pride.

"Don't be dumb," I sighed, finally regaining my nerves, "we're in a party, we share EXP."

"Awww, why didn't you tell me sooner?" She pouted sarcastically, "I could have killed the enemies easily for us, instead of having to wait for you to come an' help me."

"I still need to work on my «Weapon Proficiency», which isn't shared."

"Apparently neither is your help."

"I was gonna help but-"

"But you were thinking," she said, finishing my sentence then rolled her eyes, "I know, but that excuse gets old fast, if you want my help then you need to carry your weight too."

"I carry-" I reflected, "I help, I tell you the right skill to use on the mobs and when to attack."

She rolled her eyes, "I guess."

"Come on let's go," I said as I finally sheathed my own blade, "we should start heading home."

"Wait! I only need like two more spiders till' I get to level nineteen," she pleaded. Her black shoulder-length hair bounced with her head some strands of hair escaping the rest, "Can we farm for just a bit more please." She drew out the 'please'.