Chapter Two: Truth Is, The Game Was Rigged From the Start

A dark calmness hung over the party as we crossed «Rival Plains». The moon kept its finger pressed hard over our light in a tease while the sun attempted to push some of its rays forward. I followed the two guys in front of me and couldn't help but admire the view of the world. If it is one thing SAO did right it was looking pretty.

The grass swayed in a foreboding wave that was captivating. Even the few trees in the plains seemed to be sleeping, their branches rising up and down gently. The horizon held distant figures of strange islands rising up in the dark sky. Too bad none of the money for the graphics could have been spent on bug proofing instead. Or making sure that people didn't die while enjoying their hobby.

I had drawn my blade as soon as passed under the great archway that leads out of «Tolbana». When we had entered the plains we were greeted by «Magma Boars» a hellfire version of their «Floor One» counterparts that was mostly seen on «Floor Three». Thankfully, they were still a neutral mob, so unless we attacked them first, they wouldn't attack us. My heart throbbed with a misplaced giddiness, I was going into uncharted territory, who knew what new drops or monsters we would see out here. My brain, being the more sensible part of my body, clutched my «Marked Anneal Blade» tightly and eyed my surroundings wearily.

"Alright," Niner spoke which made me flinched, "we are approaching the woods here in a few more paces. You know anything that is in these woods Teal?"

After I recovered my nerves, I hastened my pace and walked next to Swagger and Niner, "Well «Dire Wolves», weakness «Blunt» and fire, used to roam the woods and would often attack players whenever SAO began." I could see the forest ahead lounging over us, the trees making a seemingly natural archway that swayed, coaxing us forward. My sword hand started to get sweaty. Then I turned to look at Niner, "However, I am guessing since the «Frenzy Boar»s were replaced with its third-floor counterpart I think it wouldn't be too far of a stretch for the same thing to happen to the wolves."

"You've been on the third floor, right?" Swagger asked in his deep tone, "What are these shitters like there?"

We had just taken our first steps into the forest. There were percussion like sounds thumping in the heavily green woods that started to grow, "Um, well they have a new form, obviously, they are «Roaring Wolves» on floor three. Magenta and I used to hunt them but we stopped for some reason." I paused trying to recall but nothing came to me so I continued, "Their type damage has remained «Blunt» but the elemental damage has changed to dark."

"Alright then boy genius, you got any bright ideas for us just in case?" Niner asked jumping over a fallen tree, "Taco isn't that far off, but you know something may go off the rails."

"Well," I said hopping over as well, carefully with my sword still drawn, "If your «Smash» skill has gotten better-"

"Which it has," He bit back.

I turned to Swagger, " You are still a one-handed club and shield right?"

"Best combo in the game son," he winked at me and dodged a low tree branch.

Niner snorted, "As if dude."

"Regardless," I said stopping the argument before it could start, "If we do encounter a wolf I think it would best then for you, Swagger, to lead us with the «Brave Party» buff-"

"Yeah, I don't really have any buff skills man," Swagger said.

"Wait, are you serious?" Niner laughed, "You are a club user, the only weapon that is barely a support class, and you don't have buff skills?"

"Look, man, I just wanted to start hitting shit, I didn't know that the spikey blunt object would be a morale booster for the dipwits around me," he sighed and gestured to the mace at his side.