Chapter One

(y/n)'s POV

The bell blared to free me from the torture that was Honors Geometry. Seriously, what did I do to get in that class? When it came to math, I was an absolute dumbass. But now it was time for lunch, and I could sign up for the school play. I missed doing theatre, since my production of Into The Woods ended last month at a local community theatre. (I was the Baker's Wife and absolutely killed it).

Now it was time for something more than drama class, which was mainly filled with kids who detested drama but got stuck in there anyway. I was the only one who has an A out of my whole class. I heard other periods had better students but all I knew is that Christine Canigula took it. She was my close friend, not quite my bestie because that title belonged to Brooke Lohst, or Brookie Cookie as I called her.

"Get up, lardass." Some kid spat as he shoved my shoulder while walking by my desk. I then realized that I hadn't gotten up and was just staring into space. I scrambled up to go to my locker and grab my lunch, since lunch lines gave me anxiety big time. The cafeteria was crowded, but there was a huge opening by the school play's audition sign-up sheet. I grew the hugest smile and strutted towards it in attempt to look calm and collected. I wasn't, but nobody needed to know that.

I was about to be the first to sign up, but then suddenly someone appeared right in front of me to do so. That happened to be Christine Canigula. I almost ran into her back, before halting for her. She reached up to get the pen to sign her name in practiced calligraphy (I had no clue how she did it).

I studied the sheet for the name of the show we were doing, since Mr. Reyes typically hid it. I scanned for a couple seconds before seeing the name of a musical that made my heart swell with joy. The Prom. I absolutely loved that show, and related to it since I was bi as hell.

Christine slid to the side to allow me to sign, but instead of leaving she turned to face me and began to talk my ear off. I shot her a playful smile as I scribbled down my name. It wasn't neat, but we all know what it says.

"I hope I get the role of Alyssa, she's such a good role and her vocals are right in my range. Plus Alyssa Greene-" She cut off, opting to make a screaming-dying goat-air horn sound. It amazed me how she manages to make her weird sounds, she's grown very good at it. "What role are you hoping for?" She asked, gaining composure.

"Maybe Emma? I love the role and I can sing her parts well, plus her costuming is relatively close to my style," I gave a smile, leading her to our table. I sat next to the open seat next to Brooke, and Christine filled in between me and Jeremy.

"What's the play this year?" Brooke asked, turning to me while holding her boyfriends hand. Her boyfriend happened to be Rich Goranski, the nice, short boy with a lisp and faded red streak in his sand-colored hair.

"It's The Prom, that really new one with the main characters as a lesbian couple," I explained, smiling. I kinda really hoped Christine and I would play love interests. I had a little crush on her since 7th grade and I knew we could pull off the chemistry. Plus, I'd get to kiss her. I'd kiss her millions of times at rehearsal and then in front of the entire school and our parents. And maybe if I was lucky enough to win her over, I'd still get to kiss her after the show was over.

"You're zoning out again honey," Brooke interrupted my thoughts gently. I flinched, startled, and looked to her face. She was smirking and glancing to Christine. I shot her a glare and hit her arm. I glanced back to her myself and she was excitedly chattering with Jeremy and Michael. They seemed to be teasing her about something, but their voices were hushed so I couldn't hear what it was about.

I turned back to Brooke, who kissed Rich's cheek and pulled away to whisper something. I looked away, not particularly in the mood to third wheel my best friend. I did enough of that as it was, since Brooke had him tag along to most of our hangouts. I stared ahead, hoping nobody thought I was actually staring at them.

My brain decided that while zoning out, an image of Christine should pop into my head. Christine right in front of me, looking straight into my eyes, tilting her head up slightly, since she was 5" and I was hardly much taller. She gave a toothy grin, and her smile was so sweet and happy. I loved that smile with all my heart. I found myself leaning down, face on fire, and she tilted her head up.

"(y/n)?" I was pulled from my fantasies by Christine, the real one this time, tapping my arm. I flinched and my eyes snapped to hers.

"Your face is red, are you okay? Are you sick, do you have the flu, do I have to take you to the nurse?" She fussed, drawing the two gamer boys' attention. She reached up, instinctively feeling my forehead.

"Nope, nope, nope! Just hot, probably should uh... take off my hoodie! Yeah, nothing's up, all good, nobody's dying!" I squeaked awkwardly, pulling off my gray Dear Evan Hansen hoodie with blue lettering that said "Sincerely Me". I awkwardly set it in my lap.

"Oh, well I'm a bit cold, can I borrow it then?" Christine asked sweetly, giving major puppy dog eyes. I smiled, eagerly holding it out to her. She gratefully put it on, being giant on her since it was already pretty over-sized on me and she was a bit smaller than me.

"Get a room, you two!" Michael called to us, drawing the rest of the table's attention.

"I should be saying that to you and 'Jere-bear', Mike," I retorted, throwing him a glare. Everyone laughed a bit and went back to their conversations. I was left smirking and the two boys looked embarrassed.

"We're just best friends, man! Uncool," Michael returned my glare.

"And Christine and I are just close friends, you dingus," Christine and Jeremy looked pretty uncomfortable between us two, both blushing up a storm. Why was Christine blushing though? Jere was a pretty nervous person, but Christine? I figured I'd ask later.

(1138 words)