Chapter Ten

(y/n)'s POV

I was waiting for Christine where we promised to meet, the entrance to the cafeteria, when instead Brooke came up to me.

"Hey, I was wondering if I could walk with you and Christine to check the cast list," She asked shyly. I quirked an eyebrow, completely confused.

"Why? We could just tell you we got the roles later," I asked.

"You know how there was a second audition date?" She dodged the question.

"Yeah," I answered slowly.

"The whole gang went to that. We were in it last year, and it was fun besides the whole... SQUIP drama..." She finally said. My eyes immediately widened.

"Why didn't you tell Chrissy or I?"

"We wanted it to be a fun surprise, like "Hey! Your best friends are here too!" That's why I didn't talk to you this Saturday, I was busy here. And on Sunday I was out on a date with Rich and completely forgot to text you," She explained. Realization that she did not, in fact, hate me dawned on me, causing me to smile, pulling her into a hug.

"What role did you go for?" I asked, glancing around for Chrissy.

"I just said 'Place me wherever you want!' and called it a day. I don't really know this musical," she explained. I nodded with a smile.

"Yeah, despite how many times I begged you to have a little road trip and come see it with me on Broadway," I teased, elbowing her a bit. I looked around again for Christine, but there was no sign of her. She must have just been caught up with a teacher or something.

"You know I don't like Broadway theaters! You have to dress up all nice and sit somewhere watching people you can hardly see for three hours!" She laughed. I rolled my eyes.

"Rude, that's part of the experience," I told her, sarcasm practically oozing from my voice.

"Isn't Christine supposed to be coming?" She changed the subject, looking around.

"Yeah, but maybe she got caught up with a teacher," I told her. Truth be told, I was getting worried but I was seriously hoping that my excuse was all it was. What if she got in a fight? What if she was making out with some girl in the bathroom and lost track of time? What if what if what if-

"Yeah, that's probably it. Oh, there she is!" Brooke pointed behind me, revealing a flustered Chrissy barreling down the hallway. She nearly ran into me, but she stopped just in time, giving an apologetic smile.

"I'm so sorry! I had to get this study guide from my teacher and put it in my locker but my locker was jammed and the halls are super crowded! I'm sorry!" She squeaked, somehow not even vaguely out of breath. Was she a gosh darn wizard or something?

"It's alright, Chris. We're not mad, we were just a bit worried," I assured her, holding her biceps. She relaxed into the touch and gave another apologetic smile, then pulled away to make a sweeping motion with her hand.

"Then let's go see the cast list!" She squealed, bouncing back to her typical joyous persona. She grabbed my wrist and started to drag me, and I glanced back to Brooke, who was just smiling at us and following a couple steps behind.

"Do you think we got the roles?" I asked as we walked.

"Heck yeah! If we don't, then Mr. Reyes has no taste. We're the obvious choices, as experienced upper class-men who take voice lessons," She enthused.

"Yeah, you guys are bound to get the leads!" Brooke chimed in.

"I guess. But you never say that you're one hundred percent getting the role in theatre. You know it just means you probably won't get it," I conceded. It was true, directors aren't fond of cocky people, and there could always be a curveball thrown at your face.

We rounded the corner to see where the cast list was going to be, and Mr. Reyes was there stapling it to a bulletin board. He walked away, giving us an assuring smile as he went.

Butterflies were building in my stomach and taking flight through my body, crawling through my veins to my toes and the tips of my fingers. I figured I knew what would happen, but not being unsure was slowly killing me.

As we got closer time seemed to slow down, but I stayed at my set pace. And then the cast list was so close I could reach out and touch it.

I looked beside the name 'Emma Nolan' and I was thrilled with what I saw. There was my name, in bold black ink. I double checked, then triple checked. It was there each time, so I let myself celebrate.

I jumped, squealing. I was nearly crying. My eyes water as my hands flew to my face, and I felt energy rush through my body. I turned to Christine and saw her look as amazed as I was. I pulled her into a hug, squeezing the life of out of her. Nothing was enough, I pulled her even closer in the embrace.

"Is Angie a good role?" Brooke asked from behind us, and I turned to her with a smile, pulling her into a tight hug too.

"Yeah, she even gets her own solo song! That's great!" I squealed, squeezing her despite how by now she probably couldn't breathe very well.

"Really?" She asked, and I felt her tilt her head.

"Really," I pulled away, holding her biceps with a huge grin.

"And we got the leads!" Christine chimed in joyfully. We all celebrated for a while, just happy to have gotten the roles.

Now that we finally got the roles, and a new chapter of our lives was beginning, just as it did whenever a new show began.

(987 words)