Chapter Fourteen

(y/n)'s POV

It was finally opening night, and I couldn't have been more excited as I applied my stage makeup. Since Emma wasn't the type to wear any, it was all natural just to make me look human under the stage lights.

Christine and I shared a dressing room with the other principal female roles, then there was one for the main boys, and one mixed one for ensemble cast.

She came in, her makeup call being a bit later than mine so the dressing rooms wouldn't be too crowded. I waved, grinning. I saw her smile matching mine, and that was when I noticed her outfit. She wore a black button up of mine that was oversized on both of us and white shorts.

So obviously, seeing the very cute girl I had a crush on and kissed regularly wearing my clothes, I did what any rational person would do. I got up to give her a hug, careful not to touch my face to her or her clothing. She smiled, and in that moment I decided to kiss her cheek.

She froze, causing me to step away awkwardly. Just as I was about to sit down and get back to work on makeup, she halted me with her voice.

"What are we?" She asked cautiously. I turned examining her unreadable expression.

"What?" I asked, catching my breath as my thoughts raced by, all going a mile a minute. What did she mean? What did she want us to be? Was she gonna reject me? If she wasn't interested, why had we kissed so many times?

"You heard what I said, (y/n)? What are we? We kiss all the time and act like a couple but after the fact you call me your friend and go back to normal. I want to know what you think of us as, because I really like you so if you don't like me I want you to tell me so I can move on." She explained. I let out a breath of relief.

"You like me?" I asked, still shell-shocked. Warmth came to my cheeks and a grin began to curl the corners of my lips upward.

"Well yeah, I-" she started, but I cut her off with a soft, hesitant kiss to her lips.

"I like you too. Like a lot. And I always wanted you to be my girlfriend but I never knew how to ask, so I just went along with it all but that is such a relief. So, do you wanna go out some time? Like on an actual date? Maybe we could ditch the group's pizza tradition just this one time after the show and go get milkshakes instead?" I rambled, but she obviously understood. She was essentially the CEO of rambling, after all.

"I'd love that. And I would absolutely adore to be your official girlfriend." She giggled, pulling me into a hug with complete disregard of my makeup. I giggled too, squeezing back and not caring about anything.

We pulled away from the hug, uniting in a quick kiss before continuing to get ready. But instead of pretending like it never happened, we chattered giddily about all the future romantic dates we could go on, about all the plays we could see together and watching Disney musical movies at sleepovers. I wouldn't trade her, or the electric energy she brought with her, for the world.

I was really, really glad I could be in a relationship with her. We both finished our makeup and hair, changing quickly.

Somehow, we are done before the other girls came in. And we spent our free time warming up, giggling, and singing whatever duets we could think of.

I never believed in showmances until now. I never thought they were worth it, until Christine waltzed into my life and my heart.

Funny how the girl of your dreams can change your whole worldview.

(659 words)