Chapter Eleven

(y/n)'s POV

On the ride home, Christine was the one driving me today. This way, we could easily practice harmonies and see what would sound good if we performed it.

"Okay, what if I do this note," She paused to sing a note, "and you do this one?" She sang another note that was lower than the first. I nodded, copying the sound and singing it. She nodded and glanced at me to show me her wide grin.

She continued to sing her note and we examined how our voices were blending.

"Okay, not bad. What about you go one note higher now?" I proposed, causing her to readily nod, fingers tap-tap-tapping away on the steering wheel.

She continued to do her note and I realized I should resume mine, and then I did it. Better, but not fantastic. Maybe I could go a bit higher to see how it'd sound.

"Now I'll go a note higher and see how it sounds," I told her, and she just continued on with her note. She was really good at holding long notes, while I definitely wasn't. I had basically no lung capacity for air. Which was annoying because that's where air's supposed to go. I mean besides your diaphragm but you know what I mean.

I raised my note and it sounded nice, and our voices blended really well.

"Now THATS what I call a harmony!" Christine cheered, following up with a bird-like chirp. I looked over at her, visibly quirking a brow at her.

"Don't look at me like that. You have your quirks, I have mine," she defended playfully. I rolled my eyes with a fond smile.

"Whatever, you're still a weirdo," I poked her cheek.

"You love me," she said smugly.

"You wish, weirdo," I snorted, whacking her bicep but not hard enough to distract her while driving.

"Rude," She decided to use a good ol' English accent. That was my weirdo, you go you absolute dorkazoid.

"I'm aware," I said back with a smug smile. She rolled her eyes dramatically, fully embodying the extra-ass theatre gay that she was. And I'll assure you, we're extra.

"So, do ya think the play will be good this year?" Chrissy changed the subject. I shrugged.

"It's hip with the kids and gay, so it'll attract some audience for sure." I said.

"Never say hip with the kids again, please. And you call me a weirdo," Christine chided, leaning over to elbow me in the arm. I pressed a hand over my heart, releasing an obviously very fake gasp.

"I'm hurt," I said, imitating her English accent that she used from earlier.

"That was the intention, honey," she shot back.

"Oh look, we're at my house. Guess we'll discuss this later," I said as we conveniently pulled up to my ever-so-lovely home. She rolled her eyes and looked over at me and I waved before opening the door and clambering out to get in. I wasn't what one would exactly call graceful.

I walked into the warm house and I heard her pull away as I shut the door. I was immediately greeted by Autumn, my cute little calico kitty, rubbing on my legs and yelling at me, supposedly to pet her. I obeyed, crouching down to closer to her level and watching her.

She was absolutely adorable. And she never really lost her kitten fluff, despite being 5 years old. And she was small for a full-grown cat, so I really just called her an adult kitten. She still liked to claw my hands while I petted her like the day we adopted the little thing.

I got a text from Brooke, I could feel the vibration in my pocket. I never took my phone off silent, so it always just vibrated when I got a text or phone call. I hated those, but I still got them sometimes. Stab me with a spork, I beg you.

"Hey, (n/n)! Totally bored, what's Angie's solo song in The Prom?" I read, laughing a little.

"it's called Zazz, there's some dialogue with my character in there but it's mostly Angie." I told her. She ought to know, since she was the one who'd be singing it and playing the character, so she'd have to practice and make her character decisions soon enough anyway.

"Zazz? That's a funky name." She texted back after a couple of seconds.

"you're not wrong, but Angie's a funky gal."

"Wait! I just got a text from Mr. Reyes, let me screenshot and read it."

I looked down in confusion at the next text. Why would Mr. Reyes text a student right after school on a Monday.

I then got a screenshot of a new conversation with the contact name Drama Teach😎 and the text that read "I'm deeply sorry for the inconvenience, I'm reaching out immediately after the cast list was posted because there was a mistake. You, instead of playing Angie will be playing Shelby. She's one of the teenage girls. Again, I'm sorry for the inconvenience."

I also saw her blue response that read "It's cool! Thanks for letting me know!"

"that's weird. at least you don't have to memorize a whole solo now :/" I texted her after reading it.

"Cool! I was already kinda stressed about the whole solo thing, so that's easier. Thanks for the help, (n/n)! Ttyl!" She sent, allowing me to close the conversation.

I saw the cat at my feet, and I realized I was standing a couple of feet from the door and my brother was looking at me weird again.

"Brooke texted and I forgot where I was," I explained awkwardly before passing him to go to my room. He nodded, looking away and down to his phone. I heard little footsteps following me, and turned to see my cat. I rolled my eyes, throwing my backpack on the ground near the door and plopping on my bed face-down.

Today was an emotional roller-coaster, and I was super exhausted. I really, really needed a good nap. So a nap I took, with my cat falling asleep purring next to my head.

(1036 words)