12 - Hug From Behind

A/N -

I have nothing to say for myself.

I am so so so so sorry that I have not updated this for literal weeks. I've been hit w/ a big bout of writers block, and the day I was going to write the previous one-shot, my parents were like "let's go up to our house in the mountains for 4 days!1!!!1!1!" and then I was stuck up there without internet. It was shitty, and when I came back, I had forgotten about this story. When I remembered, I didn't really feel like writing it, my lazy ass, so I just... didn't. 

I've decided to not post the previous one shot, 11- Injury because I wrote something super fucked up. I'm not sure why I wrote that, but I'm going to post it as a standalone story on Archive of our Own (Ao3), because it's long enough, and I feel like it'll fit much better on that site rather than this one.

Yes, I am aware that I'm almost a month late for my daily one-shot book, and yes I am very sorry, but I'm sure at least one of you has figured out that I'm no longer keeping this a daily one-shot book. I'm going to write these whenever possible, and whenever I'm motivated. I have a problem with switching in and out of fandoms, and currently I'm obsessed with the Umbrella Academy on Netflix. I'm definitely still in the BNHA fandom, but sometimes I'm not as motivated to write stories about it. sorry guys :// (also, Klaus is the Best Character and you can't change my mind)

Alright, sorry for that long-ass author's note. Let's actually get into the story.

It seemed appropriate, the rain pouring down on this particular day.

Whoever had planned to hold the service outdoors had clearly known this was going to happen. They most likely felt it would set the mood best.

They can go fuck themselves.

He was shivering, but he couldn't go inside. Not yet.

The whole thing just seemed so surreal.

When they were kids they seemed so invincible. Even just getting into UA was a pipe dream for him. Meeting All Might was... ridiculous. It was so far beyond his wildest dreams.

Finding out All Might's secret was like a punch to the gut.

The next few months after that had been insane, and tiring. The training was harsh, and the entrance exam was harsher.

Figuring out how to control his quirk took longer than anyone had anticipated. He kept breaking his bones! How the hell was he supposed to follow in All Might's footsteps if he couldn't even punch without breaking his entire fist?

Now following in All Might's footsteps seemed... Impossible.

The umbrella was holding minimum protection against the cold rain, but Midoriya couldn't find it in himself to care. What did it matter if he got a little wet? All Might was dead.

He could feel the flood gates opening and goddammit, goddammit, he did not want to do this today.

Just for once he wanted to be able to suppress his emotions. To not feel anything.

Maybe it would make life easier.

As the tears streaked down his cheeks onto his chin, mixing with the rain, he couldn't help but feel hopeless.

"What am I supposed to do? You still had so much more to teach me, and now you're gone. What am I supposed to do without you?"

His thoughts were interrupted by a pair of arms snaking around his waist, gently wrapping around him, granting a sense of warmth that made him realize he had been shivering against the cold.

He could feel the familiar quirk warming him up, the source from the pair of hands now flat against his stomach.

The other man didn't say anything, just let Midoriya stand.

He knew how important it was to be able to mourn.

After all, All Might had been his hero too. Perhaps he hadn't been as close as Midoriya was, but after his mom died, the symbol of peace had helped him form a safe place. A place away from the training, and the yelling.

The thought of one day being rescued from that awful place seemed so far away by the time he reached highschool, it almost seemed surreal to meet his idol in person.

For years, everything seemingly was perfect.

But all good things come to an end.

He could feel Midoriya's shaking sobs as he pressed his forehead into the other man's back.

He wished that for once he could express emotions. He wished he knew how to outwardly convey what he was feeling, rather than bottling it all up.

He knew he would eventually explode.

They stood like that for several more minutes, just letting Midoriya cry. He hadn't gotten a chance yet, always being in the public eye.

Todoroki's hug just felt so nice, and he could feel his brain being cleansed of the shit that had been building up.

He was still filled with despair, but it might have been slightly lessened.

He let the warm hands resting on his stomach slide up to his shoulders, gently leading him away from view of the grave.

None of this was fair.

All Might was quite possibly the only pure hero out there.

And now he's gone.

No, this wasn't fucking fair, and no, Midoriya probably would never recover. He would probably never smile as bright, or get that glint in his eyes that appeared when he was genuinely passionate about something.

But he would move on. He would allow himself to grieve for as long as needed, and then he would get back to work.

The city wouldn't defend itself.