51. Breaking Glass

✖️✖️✖️✖️

✖️✖️✖️✖️

Astrid gasped out and coughed somewhat while sitting up and looking around the dim dungeon cell, her hands and feet shackled in chains.

She was sore and aching all over with bruises covering her body from her getting beat by some Vikings who had found her after she had escaped Berk during her execution.

Now, Astrid was locked up in a dungeon cell by the King. And she didn't know what was going to happen next.

"Hey," A female voice spoke on the other side of the cell. The blonde looked over to see a familiar brown haired girl also shackled in chains like herself.

"Riley?" Astrid let out in confusion, "What are-- Why are you here? What did you do?"

Riley sighed and began, "After my brother, Hiccup, died- and later discovering that it was you who sent that Wraith on him- I snapped and, um, killed some people..."

The brunette continued while looking down at the floor, "Now, I'm just waiting for my execution day to get here."

Astrid furrowed her eyebrows, inquiring, "Why?"

Riley looked up at her and began, "Dying is simple. It all just stops. You're dead."

Riley looked away and started back up, "But the people around you dying? That's the hard part. Because you keep living, knowing that they're gone, and you're still here."

"R-Riles-"

Riley sighed, "And I know you didn't kill Hiccup. I believe you. That's why I'm going to tell them that it was me- all of it- because you are destined for greater things than to just be killed. You've got more to do in life. I believe in you. Always."

Astrid shook her head and began, "Okay, but those stories that we tell that keep us going and sometimes they blind us, they take us to dark places. Once you touch that bloody darkness, it never goes away..."

Riley watched Astrid now as the said blonde swallowed and continued, "Now the truth is, I'm past saving. I know how my story ends. It's at the edge of a blade or some other weapon."

"My job is to keep you and all of my other friends and family safe. I had one bloody job, and I screwed it up. And for that, I'm sorry." Astrid sighed, a single tear slipping down her face, "I guess that's what I do. I let down the people I love. How can I? How am I supposed to bloody live with that?"