Chapter 5

Peter

Peter

Why the hell would I say that!? I'm such an idiot.

Steve did say that he didn't care though, and I've never had a Dad before...

I don't really deserve one either. A loud high pitched cough erupted from my throat causing Tony and Steve to come running in to check on me.

We made it to the hotel at like 1:00 in the morning.

"How are you bud?" Tony asked rubbing my back. I winced and flinched away from his comforting hand.

"I-I'm f-fine." I couldn't look him in the eye, not after the incident on the plane. I was already acting like a baby by crying and the dad stuff just added to it.

"Peter I'm not going to push you to tell us what happened but we know something happened..." Tony sighed.

My eyes widen, am I really making it that noticeable? "N-not now, not y-yet." I shook my head.

Someday I would tell them what happened to me. But I have a feeling deep down that this isn't going to last. They'll leave me like everyone else.

"Do you want some breakfast?" Steve said changing the subject. I shook my head again.

I've not really had an appetite since I got sick.

"You really should eat though, it'll make you feel better."

I gave up and agreed. Steve reached out as if he wanted to touch me but quickly pulled his hand back.

"It's already here, we ordered it before you woke up." Tony smiled cheekily. I shook my head with a slight smile.

I followed them to the kitchen part of the hotel. The hotel was really huge, I had my own room even though I told Tony and Steve that I could just sleep on the couch.

The view was pretty too. Steve slid a bowl of fruit across the table for me.

"Thanks." I said quietly. He nodded. There was a lot of food on the table and the sight of it made me a little sick.

A loud banging on the door caused me to almost choke on a grape.

Tony rolled his eyes and got up to answer it. "Took you long enough!" I heard a woman say. Whoever the person was stormed in the room.

"Not a hello? Or a good morning maybe?" Tony rolled his eyes.

The woman smiled at me. She had strawberry blond hair, it suited her nicely.

"You must be Peter." She grabbed my hand, shaking it. I nodded.

"I'm Pepper," She turned towards Tony and Steve. "The press conference is in 4 hours-" I started coughing up a lung again.

"S-sorry." My voice was really hoarse. My throat was tight and it felt as if I swallowed shards of glass.

"Don't apologize sweetie. Why isn't he in bed?" Pepper asked flailing her arms around.

"Well Pepper, we don't get sick so how were we supposed to know!?" Tony folded his arms smugly.

"It's common sense Tony!" Pepper placed the back of her hand to my forehead.

"Both of you shut up!" Steve said, rolling his eyes. Tony and Pepper started yelling at him about minding his business.

I laughed and all of them froze. "Awwwww that was so cute!" Pepper hugged me tightly.

My cheeks reddened, no one has hugged me since my aunt passed away.

"I'm glad you found that funny Pete." Tony laughed taking a bite out of his croissant.

"I'll help Peter feel better and you two can think about what you're going to say at the conference." Pepper said with her hand out, waiting for me to grab it.

I did, she sent a smile my way, before leading me to my room.

She cracked my window opened and gestured for me to lay down.

"Did they gave you medicine?" Pepper asked sitting at the end of the bed. I shook my head. "Medicine is bad f-for Croup."

"That explains the loud coughing." She leaned over and picked up the phone that was on the nightstand.

"Can I get a thermometer and a baby monitor please?" She said. I frowned, why would she need a baby monitor?

She said something else and hung up. Pepper turned to me and she must have saw the face I was making because she said that the baby monitor was so she could hear my coughing from in another room.

Room service brought the requested items up. "Okay, don't bite this or anything or we're going to have to take your temperature the bad uncomfortable way."

I nodded quickly. "Open up Petey."

I opened my mouth and she stuck the thermometer under my tongue. After a while it beeped, scaring the heck out of me in the process.

Pepper laughed and kissed me on the forehead. I think I'm okay with the way she treats me because she reminds me of my aunt.

"101 on the dot, so it's pretty bad." She rubbed her chin in thought for awhile. "We definitely need to get it down."

I nodded in agreement. I got really tired all of a sudden while she thought about it more before it finally came to her. "You can take off your shirt or have an ice bath."

I immediately froze up. If I took of my shirt she would see all the old bruises and the welts that I have and she would tell Tony and Steve.

"I'm f-fine I-I promise."

"You just lied on a promise but I'll let it slide." Pepper gave me a look.

I sighed pulling my arms out of my sleeves. She helped me pull the shirt over my head. I could tell she was a bit taken back by my scars and bruises but she didn't say anything about them.

Pepper gave me a smile. "I'll go get you a wet rag."

I nodded looking down at my lap sadly. She was probably just trying to get out of the room with a disgusting freak like me.

She lifted my chin up with her pointer finger. "You're perfect Petey."

"Always remember that." She ruffled my hair before getting up.

My fingers lingered over a scar I got a couple weeks ago, I got it for back talking Ms. Owens boyfriend because he yelled at one of the little kids and made her cry.

He beat the shit out of me that day and I never crossed him again.

Pepper came back with the towel and placed it on my forehead.

"Okay lay down."

I obeyed and she pulled the covers onto me. "Sweet dreams Peter." Her hand lingered on my forehead gently.

She stood up to get out but I stopped her. "W-wait Pepper!"

She turned back around with a smile. "Am I going to the p-press conference?"

Pepper nodded. "Of course you are, I arranged it so your parents could introduce you to the world."

My eyes were super heavy and even trying to hold them open was exhausting.

"Go to sleep Peter." Pepper laughed closing the door.

She definitely doesn't have to tell me twice...