Chapter 2

We have almost the same schedule, and we're practically neighbors. This really helped us to become friends. If it weren't for this, we probably wouldn't even see each other. I will be eternally grateful for that.

After we get done with math 3rd period, we walk to english together. Mr. Clappers greets us outside the door with his normally cheerful "Good morning" and we both match that cheerfulness in our "Hello"s

As soon as we walk into the room, we both stop dead in our tracks. We see Samantha pressed up against the wall with Jacob kissing her. And she seems to be perfectly fine with it. She makes eye contact with me and she immediately pushes Jacob away from her like he had suddenly just kissed her without her consent. She knows I always walk with Quincy on the way here. But it was too late. We - most importantly Quincy - had already seen her OK with it.

I grab Quincy's wrist and feel his hand clench up. But his eyes tell a different story. Tears are welling up in his eyes and he does nothing to try to stop them. Even though he knew this was happening, it still clearly hurts, just like with any normal human being. I would never think to do this. I would be too grateful to have him to even think of this. This is the second time today I've seen him cry today. And before that, he was the strong Quincy that rarely showed any emotion. Except for his eyes. I momentarily release his wrist to move my hand down to unclench his fist and weave our fingers together, to show him I was here for support, but he was already gone.

He ran up to Jacob and shoved him against the wall while grabbing Samantha's arm so she didn't run away. Against my better judgement, I run up and pull Samantha away, not wanting her to get hurt in the skirmish that was about to happen.

"What the hell man?!" Quincy yells at Jacob with his chin wobbling. "Why would you do that?" Now there are tears streaming down his face from his eyes to his chin. They always tell a different story, his eyes, the only part of him that ever really showed anything.

"Because you weren't treating your girlfriend right!" he yells back.

"What do you mean 'not treating my girlfriend right'?"

"You never even kissed her!" Jacob replies to Quincy.

"I was giving her time. I didn't want to force her to do anything." By now the tears had stopped and there was just burning hatred behind his eyes.

"I don't think it would have been forcing her, it's been 4 years."

Quincy opens his mouth to respond and Jacob was about to land a punch on Quincy but I had just broke them apart. "Enough! Both of you! If you want to fight, do it on your own terms. But not here, and not now."

I grabbed Quincy and pulled him to the seats in the back, because after what happened, Mr. Clappers will understand why we moved.

We both sit in silence for a couple moments before we both start talking at the same time.

We pause and he starts talking, "Man you really sounded like a teacher right then."

"I know I've always wanted to do something like that but I thought I'd be too scared."

"Well, people will do amazing things for the people they love."

He seems to realize what he just said and looks down at his paper.

Once again, it's quiet for a moment.

Quincy whispers to me, "I hope it's clear that we broke up."

"Sorry, but I don't think it is." I point to Samantha walking to us.

"Quincy can I please explain?" Samantha begs.

"No. There is no reasonable excuse to be kissing a guy that is not your boyfriend." Quincy responds.