1 | The Paper

"So today we will be talking about the the 1950's." the teacher, Mr. Marcus, stated as he opened up his slide presentation on the projector.

I looked at Ned in annoyance as the teacher turned off the lights. The presentation started to play and suddenly you could hear a roar of whispers from the students.

I looked at Ned and leaned in "Does he really think we actually are interested in these?" I whispered to Ned who was sitting adjacent to me.

"Honestly dude, he's like 25. I don't think he cares. He gets paid to do this..." Ned started to laugh "Do you see the look on his face?"

We both turned our heads to the front and squinted as we looked at the teacher. He was slouched in his chair with the textbook over his face. We both looked back at each other and started to talk again.

"Is he sleeping?" Ned asked.

"Sure looks like it. Or he's just really invested in the textbook." I smiled

We both laughed which startled the teacher.

"Pay attention!" He yelled looking in every direction not knowing who was laughing.

We both crouched down onto our desk and started to watch the film.

I looked over at Ned "Do you think there will be a test on this?"

"Beats me. I couldn't care less about this class." Ned scoffed.

I rolled my eyes "and that's why you're failing." I whispered.

He gasped "Peter Parker, I swear if you talk to me like that again I will have no other choice than to take away your LEGO privileges."

"Oh come on I was joking." I laughed.

"Fine, but if I hear words like that again You're gonna have to buy me lunch."

I scoffed "you're acting like my aunt."

He sarcastically gasped mimicking my aunt.

"Shut up man. I'm trying to watch the film, geez." I waved him off and we both laughed as we looked at the screen.

"...Finally on April 28th, 1952 The Treaty of San Francisco put an end to the state of war between the Allied powers and Japan at the end of World War II...." The narrator said.

This is so dumb. I have better things to do with my time than listen to a stupid man talk about peace treaties. Peace treaties...treats, wow ice cream sounds really good right now. Maybe I could get some after school. Ned could come too, and maybe Michelle...is that too forward? Should I wait to ask her out? I mean I wouldn't want to make her uncomfortable. Wow this chair is really uncomfortable. How do we sit in these all day...

"Mr. Parker! Are you with us?" The teacher asked sternly.

"Uh yes-um-Yes sir."

He glared at me then turned back to the board. I rummaged through my backpack to find a pencil and paper to write down the information that was now filling the board.

"That counts as half your grade this semester..." he continued.

What counts as half our grade? What did I miss!?

The bell rang and everyone practically ran out the door as I hurriedly scribbled the information onto my paper, squinting to figure out what this was all for. The teacher walked over to my desk and looked at me.

"Class is over Mr. Parker." He snapped

I looked up from my paper and shoved all of my stuff into my backpack, getting up from the seat as quickly as possible.

"Yes sir-uh Mr. Marcus, I know I-I uh was just going." I stammered as I walked past him.

He stopped me by grabbing my arm as he sighed. I looked up at him in worry.

"Mr. Parker, please come to my desk." He let go of my arm and we walked over to his desk.

"Is something wrong sir?" I asked scared I was going to get detention or something.

"Yes there is actually." He said as he walked around to his chair and sat down. "I've been looking at your work recently. Peter, it's not good."

I gripped my backpack "what do you mean? I've been doing all the work."

"Yes I know you have been doing the work. Just not, well...well. Peter, you're failing."

My eyes went wide. "What? That's impossible, I've been working my butt off in this class!"

He looked at me in disbelief.

I sighed "okay maybe not that hard, but I've been doing my part."

"Peter, If you don't get a 95 on this test, I'm afraid you're going to have to repeat this class."

"What!? Mr. Marcus, there has to be something I can do! Anything." I leaned in "I can't be stuck in this class with a bunch of tenth graders next year. I'll do anything."

Mr. Marcus crosses his arms and leaned back in his chair "there is one thing you can do."

"Anything! Please..." I begged.

"Okay this chapter has been about the 50's. So, I guess if you can write a paper about the 50's I can bump up your grade ten extra credit points, but you would still have to get at least an 85 on the test."

"I can do that...it's a deal!" I said with a smile about to walk out of the class room.

"Now wait a second Mr. Parker." He said causing me to turn around and face him again "this paper has to be 4,000 and I'd like you to write somewhat of a story."

"A-a story?" I laughed "what do you mean?"

"Use unique characters, combined with a fun plot, including interesting things that has happened in the 50's to make a good story with good true facts about the 50's. You know, make it something I want to read rather than something I have to read. Do you understand?"

"A story? Uh...I'm not so good with stories."

"Then I guess I'll see you again in this next year." He said getting up from his chair.

"No no wait! So an interesting story about the 50's?" I asked

He turned around to look at me and smiled "4,000 words. I need it by the end of next week. Have a good weekend Mr. Parker." He said as he walked away.

By the end of next week!? He's crazy!

__________

This part wasn't super interesting, but trust me it will get better!
Happy Reading!
- Madi ❤️