3 | The Dress

I turned on the light in the bathroom and opened the suitcase to see a note, more money, and extra clothes.

I picked up the note, it was from Mr. Stark.

"Kid, this is just some stuff to get you by." I read aloud. "Put on the clothes so you don't stand out as much and be safe. Tony Stark." I threw the note down and put the clothes on.

I bet this is some kind of joke. I mean he wouldn't just push me into the 1950's to write a paper...would he? Actually he probably would.

I finished putting the clothes on and walked out of the bathroom with the suitcase. I was inside a diner. Girls with big, colored dresses were every where with nice little up do's and vibrant lipstick while the boys dressed in nice, colored, button shirts and slacks.

"Am I-"

Suddenly the man behind the counter looked at me "You gonna order or just stand there lookin funky?" He asked

"Um..."

Don't stick out

"Yes sir I'd like a chocolate milkshake and some fries."

"That'll be fifty cents. Sit down where ya like."

"Fifty cents!?" I whispered to myself as I sat down at the bar and put the money down. "Why so cheap..."

I looked at my surroundings, I really was in the fifties. I looked to my left to see a few girls giggling as they looked at me. I looked at my shirt, maybe it's stained or my hair is messed up?

Two of the girls pushed the girl in the blue dress and she hit them with her hand and she hushed them. They both put their hand over their mouth and giggled to themselves as the girl in the blue dress walked up to me. She was pretty cute.

She cleared her throat and smiled at me with a gleaming smile.

"Hi." She smiled at me then looked back at her friends to hush them again.

"Um hello." I nodded

"You ain't from around here are ya?" She asked.

"No ma'am I'm not."

That's something they say right? Ma'am?

"Good job, Peter." I heard inside my head.

"What the!?"

The girl in the blue dress put her hand over her chest.

"Oh my, what's wrong?" She asked

"Sorry...Uh what I meant to say was what's the town called again haha..."

I'm so stupid.

"Peter it's Karen. Don't worry I'll be here to help you with all the cultural differences from here on out."

The girl in the blue dress laughed "oh it's a pretty small town ain't it? I call it loserville. No one ever comes here and stays. Say why are your here?"

"Tell her you just mover here." Friday insisted.

"I Uh. I just moved here."

Her eyes filled with excitement "so you will be going to the school here then? Or are ya graduated already."

"I'm still in school." I nodded

"Oh boy." She whispered as she fanned herself "so I'll see you around school then." She smiled as she walked away with her friends

"Wait! I didn't get your name."

She just laughed "I'll see you at school." She said as she winked and walked out the door.

"Here's your milkshake in fries." The man behind the counter said as he set my food down

"Thank you sir."

He was about to walk away when I stopped him.

"Say what's was the girl in the blue dresses name?"

"Oh (y/n) she's quite a looker ain't she?"

"(Y/n)..."

"Yes sir, she's my bosses son's girlfriend. I'd be careful around her. He gets jealous pretty easily."

I looked down at my food then back at him and smiled "thank you." I said as I continued to eat my food.

I tipped the man a dollar which shocked him and I went on my way.

"Of course she has a boyfriend. But why was she flirting with me...Karen, what am I doing here."

"You're writing your paper."

"I know that but like what am I going to do here? I don't have a place to live, and I have know idea what I'm going to do."

"Mr. Stark said to act as if you are your character. To become your main character do things in the day that you will write about at night and you will finish your paper in no time."

"So pretend to be my character and just do anything and everything I desire?"

"precisely."

I smiled "Huh...Well Karen, I have lots of money and a lot of room to be anyone I want...let's have some fun."

__________
I'm having fun writing this. It's the first time in a while that I have had an idea come to my head that I actually have written down and it's great!
Happy Reading!
- Madi ❤️