11 | The Present

How am I going to get out of the 1950's?
Should I even go back?

I shook my head.

What am I thinking, of course I have to go back...it's what (y/n) wanted...

I paced the room trying to figure out what to until I figured it out. I have to go back to where I first met (y/n). The diner.

I raced to the diner, it was dark and barely anyone was out on the streets but it didn't matter I had to get home.

I saw the diner and a man walking out of the door closing and locking it behind him.

"Um excuse me! Sir, sir, sir!" I yelled trying to get his attention as I ran towards him.

The man looked shocked "what's wrong kid?"

I tried to catch my breath and I let out a sigh "I need to get in there."

He crossed his arms "look, I just closed up shop, I don't need ya messin' with me, ya hear?"

My eyes widen as I vigorously shook my head "of course not sir, uh you see-" I scratched my head and the man lowered his eyebrows "I left my wallet in the bathroom."

The mans face soften "oh why didn't you just say so! I'll go get it." He said as he unlocked the door and began to walk in. I looked in front of him and saw a blue light coming from the bathroom stall, Mr. Stark must be coming to look for me. I grabbed his wrist, stopping him from going inside.

"No! Uh you see I need to grab it."

"Why?" He asked as he turned to me.

"I don't like people touching my wallet?" I said hoping he would buy it.

He scoffed and scooted past me "geesh this generation..." He mumbled under his breath as he let me in.

"Thank you!" I said as I ran inside the shop and into the bathroom.

I locked the door behind me turned on the light and when I turned around I saw him standing there, arms crossed.

"Ah!" I said as I grabbed my chest "Mr. Stark...you scared me."

He wasn't amused "uh-huh." He said as he grabbed my arm and pulled me into the portal, back to present time.

The portal shut and we were back in his lab.

"Phew that was a close one huh Mr. Stark? I almost didn't make it ba-"

He turned around and looked at me, his face enraged.

"What did you think your were doing huh!?" He yelled

"Mr stark I-"

"I told you to come back and you didn't listen! You couldn't have just listened to me, now the girl knows about time travel and you and now you could be in danger. And now I feel like that's on me because I'm the one that let you go back there."

"But she wouldn't say anything...I'm sorry." I said looking at my fingers as I played with them.

He stepped closer to me "You were playing a dangerous game there, kid. When I tell you to do something you listen. You got that?"

"Yes sir, mr. Stark." I nodded sadly

He sighed "ugh I gotta sit down." He said as he plopped into a white, spinning desk chair.

"I-I'm sorry. Mr. Stark. I didn't mean to cause any harm."

He waved me off.

It was silent for a good two minutes until Mr. Stark said something softly.

"What was her name?"

I looked up "what?" I asked not hearing what he had said

"What was her name? The girl."

"Oh uh-" I smiled "(y/n)...ye-yeah She was nice...an-and pretty. And smart...really really smart. She barely freaked out when I told her about all of..." I motioned the the machine "this."

He nodded his head and spun over to the computer.

"Last name?" He said typing on the computer

"(Y/L/N)..." I said walking up behind him "what are you-what are you doing?"

"Seeing if I can find her in the computer. See if she had a good life. Ya know , something to make you feel better about your decision." He tried to smile.

I smiled back and looked at the computer more intently.

"That's her!" I tilted my head "is that the only photo they have of her? She looks the same there then she did when I met her. Do they have any newer photos?"I said grabbing my phone and trying to find anything I could about her and her family.

"Oh my god...Kid..." he said as he put his hand over his mouth

"What-What's wrong?" I said as I put my phone in my pocket.

"She died."

"Well yeah...I mean she would be pretty old now if she didn't..." I said which hurt me a little more than I thought it would.

"No, no I mean, a long time ago."

I shook my head "wh-What?"

He clicked an article which came from an old newspaper. "Seventeen year old girl found dead in her car after hitting a tree."

"What are you talking about what do you mean!? She died when she was 17?"

"There's even a photo of her in th-okay we're done here." He said about to turn off the computer.

"No! Wait." I said grabbing the mouse from his hand, I scrolled down.

"Kid-"

"Sh-She-That's the same exact dress she wore when she came over today..." I looked at the date "that was the date! Mr. Stark she died the day I left! It's all my fault."

"No it's not." He shook his head "it was meant to happen, if you weren't there it still would have happened. No matter what."

"Can we save her? I mean if we can save her she could have a life. A good life. Right?"

"Kid." He shook his head.

A lightbulb went off in my head

"Take me back."

His eyes went wide "what are you crazy, no!"

"Please! Take me back to that day. I can explain everything to her. If she dies that day that means she never really existed beyond that point..."

"So you want me to take you there to save her? Or-or what are you proposing here?"

"If she doesn't exists beyond that point...that means she never had a family, no family means no life, no life means she has nothing beyond the day she died and the day I left. No kids, or grandkids or anything! She could come here and it wouldn't change anything about her family's future or hers because she didn't have one."

"Peter, she can't-"

"If she could come here...We could give her a future."

__________
Yay two updates in two days! Look at me being a productive queen! What did you think of this chapter? - Madi ❤️