Chapter Two

My feet barely touched the ground as I rushed through the castle. I drew the black cloak over my head to conceal my face.

I exited through the secret door that led to the grove of trees at the cusp of the frozen gardens. The frigid flora bowed to the vast dark forest.

I expected to see two figures, but there was only one. Keegan pulled back his hood, conflicted eyes flecked with light as they spotted me.

"Where's Remi?" I wondered aloud, scanning the darkness.

"Keeping watch."

Would he be watching us if we…if we what? What did I think was going to happen?

The realization of what I wanted left me speechless.

"Keegan, what are we doing here? We can't be here."

"I haven't stopped thinking about you, Ren." A thunderstorm formed in his eyes. I could have sworn I heard thunder boom.

"It's been years." I murmured.

"Yes it has, and all this time I haven't been able to rid myself of you. You can ask Remi." For some reason the thought of Remi made my stomach sick. Like being here with him keeping watch for us was wrong.

All of this is wrong, my head countered.

"Keegan, we can't do this. Our families loathe each other. They harbor nothing but murderous intent for each other. Do you honestly think they would accept whatever this is?"

"Who the fuck cares what they think." He snapped impulsively. I forgot how moody Summer fae were.

"You'll care if they mount your head on a pike."

"I don't fear them anymore, Ren." He moved closer and I backed up. He didn't stop until I was pressed against rough tree bark. My hands raked over it, needing the sharp stabs to ground me to reality.

"Do you want to know why?"

"Why?" I croaked. His fingertips traced a blazing trail of fire down my neck. Winter magicka roared to life at the unwelcome sting of Summer.

Even our bodies are against each other.

"We'll be in charge soon and they will bow down to us. We can sign new peace treaties, and actually have true peace for once." He leaned down to my neck. His lips brushed my collarbone. I hissed at the heat that seared me. Frost crept upon the burn to heal it.

"And then what?" My words were breathy.

"We do whatever the fuck we want, my Queen."

"My fae will grow restless living in peace. Eventually, they'd demand war. The new Unseelie Queen would force my hand."

"Then we would go to war, and at the end of the day I would steal away to your bed."

I cursed at the thoughts frazzling my brain and shuddered, "Keegan, your very touch has our bodies at war. How do you expect us to…"

"I hear something changes after you - after you're joined together." His warm breath teased my ear.

"What happens?"

"Our natures stop fighting and instead create an even more intense experience."

"And what of Remi?"

"What about Remi? I told you, he's keeping watch. We're safe."

How does he not grasp this?

"Tell me what you want, Ren. I understand if you want to leave. The pain and risk might outweigh the truth."

The high walls that kept his mind safe from prying, suddenly burst free. He was bared to me, in the deepest way possible. The light encasing his soul blinded me. Sapphire and crimson splotches fought each other for control. The light and the dark. The cruelty dwelling in me purred at the sight of crimson.