CHAPTER SEVEN

"So, what happened after I left?" I wagged my eyebrows suggestively and elbowed Remi. We walked the icy halls of Winter castle, standing closer than what was usually permitted. But I didn't care. It was my time to rule and I would do as I pleased.

Remi smiled coyly. "We just kissed. That's all."

"I wouldn't call that just kissing. That was pretty…intense." I bit my lip and cleared my throat.

"You've got a little drool on your lip there." He winked.

"Remington!" I exclaimed, grinning like a fool. "I didn't think the shy and sweet dryad made jokes."

"I don't. You know that." He cast his eyes downward.

"What is it?"

"His kisses were magical. Ridiculously slow, but -"

"Oh my gods, right?"

"He does that with you too?" He met my face and chuckled.

"Yes! It's irritating, but somehow delicious at the same time." I nodded. "What were you going to say before I so rudely interrupted you?"

"I'm surprised you even care about being rude."

"I don't." I flashed him a wicked smile.

Well, I didn't.

"His kisses were like breathing in fire. They wrecked me, in the best way possible. But right after you left and clothing was being removed, he abruptly stopped. He claimed he was tired. Perhaps he was, but I get the feeling that he came to his senses and realized he was about to sleep with his best friend."

"Don't see this as a defeat, Remi. This is progress. He has felt your lips on his lips. Your skin on his skin. Your body against his. That doesn't just mean nothing." I rubbed his back.

"Maybe he was just drunkenly kissing me."

I snorted. "You forget about the 'forest lowering inhibitions' comment. I don't care what he might say now to backtrack. He's in love with you. He wants you just as much as he wants me. He's just too afraid to try and lose you. The flirty ass already knows he has me."

We turned the corner and entered the great hall. My coronation was in a few short hours and already the great hall overflowed with people. There were very few Summer fae, their attire stood out amongst the sea of monochromatic garb.

Our eyes landed on the Summer King in the center of the hall. I noticed both of our shoulders relaxed. A collective sigh left us.

He beamed at me and raked his hand through loose bronze waves. But when he turned his attentions to Remi, the expression on his face faded. His cheeks warmed to a hot pink. His emotions were a tie between embarrassment and desire. I wanted to pounce on them both.

We took two steps into the great hall when a hand on my arm paused us.

"Your Majesty, will you take a walk with me?" My ama's timeless face stared back at me. She merely glanced at the bright red gown I wore that revealed an immense amount of skin. I was surprised when she didn't comment.

"Sure, ama." Remi untangled himself from me. I didn't want to leave his side or Keegan's presence in the middle of the room.

"I'll go keep Keegan out of trouble. Durin is here and you know how they get when they drink together."

Oh did I know. The previous Summer King and his son concocted an array of plans while they drank. Most of which ended with them running naked through the cities.