Ch. 1 ✿ The First Meeting

The cart of boxes rattled against the ground as Y/N pushed the heavy load with all her might.  It was her first day of work and her new boss was certain to let her know that a task completed with any slight imperfection would not be tolerated.  Lucky for her, she was working here full time from now on.  She decided to make the best of the cards she had been dealt and push through.  Anyway, college tuition wasn't about to pay for itself.

She and the never-ending pile of boxes slid across the department store aisles until she reached the section where they were to be stocked.  Slicing the tape off of the cardboard, she revealed the hundreds of baseballs packed away inside  Then she began arranging them carefully on the display shelves.  She let her mind drift a little to avoid stressing too much over the much-expected scolding of her boss.

There was a sudden chiming sound, making Y/N jump.  She relaxed when she realized it was just a toy playing a familiar nursery rhyme.  The sweet child's tune had started playing from the next aisle followed by the sound of a little girl singing along.  Y/N listened with a smile.

"Mommy, I want this one!  It makes pretty music!"

"Put that down, it's too loud!"  A woman's voice scolded from behind the row of shelves who Y/N could assume was the child's mother.

"You can't catch me, mommy!"  The child sang as Y/N could hear her little footsteps running in the other direction.

Y/N giggled to herself and continued arranging the baseballs on the shelf, resuming her work.  Suddenly the tiny footsteps sounded closer.  She turned her head around before it was too late.  A small girl had collided with Y/Ns legs, throwing off her balance and making her crash into the pile of boxes, scattering baseballs and other inventory across the aisle.

The two of them sat up from the hard floor to silently and shamefully look at the mess they've made.  The child's mother rushed up from behind, gasping.  She pulled the teary-eyed girl to her feet, brushing her small dress off for her as Y/N rose to her feet herself, looking more upset than the child.

"Oh dear, I'm so sorry for my daughter.  When she runs wild like this there's no stopping her.  You know kids."  She let out a nervous chuckle as Y/N faked a smile as hard as she could.

"It's no problem, ma'am.  I just hope the little one isn't hurt."  Y/N asked and bent down, sucking in her own tears to check on the child's.

"I'm okay and I'm sorry!  Can I help pick them up?"

The little girl pointed down to the river of rolling baseballs, pouring out into the next aisles.  Y/N let out a small giggle at her generosity and was about to happily accept her sweet offer when her bright smile was sucked out of her by a towering shadow appearing from behind.  Slowly she turned around to meet the pair of eyes she had been dreading to meet all day.

"Please excuse Y/N.  She's a new employee and doesn't really get how things go around here just yet."  He shot Y/N with an intense look, so powerful that she could feel her whole body grow instantly cold.  She wanted to stand up for herself but knew there was nothing she could do but apologize.

"Sir I'm sor--"

"Thank you for your patience, we'll take it from here"

The mother nodded and thanked the two of them before pulling her waving child away.  Y/N watched them walk away, knowing what was coming after the two were out of sight.  There was a tight grip on her shoulder turning her around.  She cringed at the pain and massaged it once he pulled away to point a finger in her face.

"You better watch your back.  I told you in the interview that you get three strikes.  You haven't even finished your first day and you've already lost one.  Get it together.  I'm not a forgiving man."

His face was angry and distorted.  He was scary.  Y/N felt herself shrivel underneath his fury as she silently nodded her head.  He scoffed in her face before turning around, leaving her to pick everything up by herself.  She sniffled back a sob and started to pick them up one by one.

  •  •  •  

It was an hour past closing time as Y/N was still picking up and placing the balls back into the cardboard boxes.  She sighed and puffed out a bottom lip.  She had already felt herself slipping ever since her boss left, but now since the store was closed, it would finally be okay to stop holding it back.

Small, hiccupy sobs left her lips as small tears streamed down her cheek.  She sat herself down and cradled her knees against her chest.  Behind her tear-filled eyes, she spotted the toy that the child had dropped during the collision.  Almost instantly, it happened.  She was in little space.

She crawled over towards it and picked it up, putting it in her now-crossed legs.  It was a small toy piano.  The kind where the keys lit up when you pressed them.  There were buttons on the top to change between instruments and to change the volume and other fun things.  She scanned the buttons to find the one that played the song that when the little girl had played with it.  She sniffled and wiped away her tears with her sleeve and pressed her button.  Soon the store echoed with the sound of the toy piano accompanied by her soft humming.

From the main aisle, stood a man leaning against his mop, who had come over to check on her when he had heard her crying.  His eyes softened as he watched her cure her own tears with the small toy.  The grown woman had turned into a four-year-old in front of his own eyes.  He didn't know what was happening and hadn't even gotten to meet her yet, but something in him burned with pride.

He heard her saying something softly and squinted as if it would help him hear her better.  After a moment he realized she was mumbling the lyrics to 'Baa Baa Black Sheep'.  He let out a small chuckle, immediately regretting it.  Her posture shot up and looked at him.  He slapped his hand over his mouth, realizing how loud he just was.

The woman jumped to her feet and put her hands behind her back, looking down nervously.  Did I scare her?   He held his hands up and gently walked towards her as she cowered away.  She tried her hardest to suppress the little girl in her, but that was way more difficult than she wished it was.  She fought to find an excuse as quickly as she could, but she couldn't find one fast enough.

"It's okay, don't be scared,"  The man assured her in a soothing voice, as he carefully approached her.  "I heard you crying and I was just worried."

Y/N looked up at the man standing in front of her.  She was greeted by a gentle pair of eyes and a soft smile.  It was refreshing compared to the frightening images of her boss that had been floating around in her brain.

"I-I'm sorry.  I was just-"  She stopped talking and sucked in her lips after realizing how high her voice had gotten.  She looked back down to hide her red, embarrassed cheeks.

"Don't worry, you don't have to explain yourself," The man giggled softly at her small voice.  "You're Y/N, right?  The boss told me not to help you with the mess, so sorry if you didn't know I was here."

The girl nodded as a silent It's okay.

"I'm Seokjin by the way."  Y/N lifted her face to his contagious smile.  Her attitude perked up a little, smiling back at him.  An introduction must mean he wants to be friends right?  She bounced onto her toes and giggled.

"Hi, Seokjin!"

The man covered his mouth to conceal his laughter.  He was incredibly pleased by her sudden excitement.  She's so cute.  He looked down at the almost-gone mess left on the ground.  And smiled down at her.

"It's getting really late, but there's not too much left to pick up."  He bent down to the ground and started gathering baseballs in his hands.  Y/N held out a hand, about to object to his help, but he cut her off first.

"Now, Y/N.  If you don't tell the boss I helped you, I won't tell anyone about you playing with the store's toys."

He gleamed up at her with a wink.  He's right, the boss would be angry if he knew about either of those.  She let out a little huff and got on her hands and knees to join him, silently agreeing to the deal.

"Good girl."  Seokjin hummed.