Prologue

Prologue

“Lisa, come on. It’s going to be fun,” Jenny attempted futilely to persuade her best friend, again.

“You know I can’t. I already have plans,” Lisa said, running through her room with folded clothes in her arms. She dumped those into her already full suitcase before mumbling ‘brush’, dashing to the bathroom to grab said item.

As much as staying in Paris for the holiday sounded inviting LisaWilliams had the rare opportunity of spending a beautiful summer in a cozy cottage with her three-year boyfriend. Jenny knew that, but her best friend was more stubborn than a mule, but at the end of the day, a mule would give. Jenny was opposite.

“Lisa, it’s going to be more fun than-”

“A cottage, me, and him, a burning hearth in said cottage located in the middle of nowhere?” Lisa poked her head from the bathroom and gave her friend an eyebrow, “What could be more fun than that?”

“That is romantic, not fun,” Jenny countered stubbornly. “Instead, you could come with Mike and I to Paris, the woman’s world, enjoy the waves, feel the sun on your skin, and watch hot boys strut about with gloriously inviting bobbing Adam’s apples and shop till you drop.” Here Jenny imitated a sales adviser on the intercom, “Did I mention shop till you drop and French asses?

Lisa gave her a bone-dry look, “You are sick.”

“Thanks.” The girl didn’t seem a bit unnerved, least of all, bashful.

Lisa sighed, pulled everything into her suitcase, and then sat on it. “Do the zipping,” she ordered of her friend. Laughing as Lisa bounced on the loaded suitcase, they both attempted to zip up the nightmare.

“Nuh-uh,” Jenny finally gave as she backed off. Lisa was having too much fun laughing at the disarray of blonde curls on her friends head. Jenny tried to suppress the grin flitting onto her face but opted to blow out the strand on her face. “You need to move some stuff to another suitcase, unless you want down there and up here to pop out in front of the whole world.”

“Not the whole world,” Lisa protested, her face heating up at a prospect of that. She reluctantly got off from the suitcase and brought out another one. It was silent for a while; she put in her camera, which she never left behind. Lisa was starting to believe her friend had given up when she spoke again.

“Are you-?”

“Yes, I am,” she interrupted.

“You won’t-”

“-Change my mind? No,”

“Okay, you can stop being annoying,” Jenny humped, pouting.

“Who?” Lisa feigned incredulity, “Me?” She laughed when her friend turned away to hide the smile wanting its way out.

“Fine, you win this time. But incase anything goes wrong, you can still join us.”

“Okay, thanks Jenny,” Lisa hugged her friend back, knowing Jenny was just worried about her. Ever since they could both remember, Lisa had been the go getter whereas Jenny was the buster. If Lisa got hurt, Jenny would do the hurting. Their parents had always said they were soul sisters.

As Lisa and Jenny parted, she couldn’t help but think, what could possibly go wrong?

DanielBlanc was just leaving his private elevator and into his office level. The place was bustling with activity, as always. Each cube had a sole user and a pile of files. Rarely there were clear desks, but those were found during the evening. He liked his place of work organized and up to date, and everyone knew that. He didn’t beat around the bush for anything. When he wanted something, he made it happen.