Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

The next day was a major madness. It was six days to the weeding. So far, they’d found a photographer, and things had been looking bright and cheerful for the wedding party, but things started going downhill the next day.

Yes, there was the bombarding nuisance of Jenny’s awakening, but thankfully the residents of Lisa’s floor were used to it. Even the man her friend had called fat had thanked her one morning because she got him out of his room and early to an interview.

Lisa had stupidly forgotten she was supposed to be Daniel’s dancing partner, and he was to teach her, every day. So. After the normal yoga routine where she found out Luke had been fired and a woman had replaced him, Jenny, Adel, and now Agatha, had dragged her to the ballroom at exactly ten o’clock.

When she’d stood at the entrance, having already showered after the yoga exercises, she was between squaring her shoulders and facing him like the strong woman she was, and cowering away. But cowering would entail that she was week, and she was not a weak person.

Daniel was hunched over a large stereo box on one of the ballroom’s wall alcoves. She watched him from the doorway as he inspected the buttons of the contraption. It still astounded her that he was taller than her. After so long being taller than most men, even a little taller than Jack, she was surprised to find someone taller than her; and a head more.

He pursed his lips, and she watched the movement, remembering their kiss the previous day. It had been wonderful, dreamy, and electrifying. And as she’d stripped to take a shower, she’d been astounded with how wet her drawer had been.

She cursed. She wasn’t supposed to remember that. In fact, she wasn’t supposed to be looking forward to this after the last time they’d met. But she had to. She had to learn how to dance for Adel.

She sighed, taking her time in glancing around her. The room was gallant and tall, with a dome shaped roof painted with mythical creatures. From where she stood, it was beautiful.

She stepped inside the room, and immediately spotted her. Anna was sat on the sidelines of the large ballroom, with a table set close to her. She glanced up as Lisa stepped in, lowering her tea cup on a table.

“Danny, your appointment is here,” she said dutifully, a polite but glaring smile offered to Lisa.

Lisa offered a polite one back. Of course, the former lover wasn’t going to forget the kiss, and neither could Lisa. Daniel turned around at that, glanced to Anna, and followed her gaze, and it landed on her.

Lisa’s breath hitched, but she composed herself and strolled into the ballroom as graceful as she hoped. She pasted on a sweet smile, one she hoped would thaw the ice between them. “Mademoiselle Lumiere, Monsieur Blanc; I hope it’s been a good morning so far?” she said pleasantly.

Anna lifted her cup to her lips, sipping sweetly but glaring at her over the rim. Daniel nodded. “It was,” he said curtly.

She didn’t miss the blatant implication of his words. So that was how he wanted to talk about this? “Well, there’s still more to the day,” she feigned ignorance to his words. Her gaze skimmed over him, dressed in a white shirt with the sleeves rolled up to reveal manly arms, and tucked into a pair of snug black jeans, and down to the stereo set on an antique chair. “Our music?” she indicated with a nod of her head.

He glanced down at it, and Lisa immediately felt her chest expand with air, but her shoulders remained erect.

“Oui,” he nodded. “We will start with a more basic dance,” he stepped forward, walking to the middle of the room. There he stood straighter, hands clasped behind him. “How far does your training go, Miss. Williams?”