Protective, but Soft (Harry)

[This request is for @little-nabb hope you enjoy! This one shot will be using he/him pronouns. Also since this is a zombie apocalypse this one is a bit more gory than usual, apologies to those sensitive to that]

"Zion and Eugene, you'll be taking the third floor. Ethan, you're with me on the first floor. Harry, you aaand..." Lawrence's usual boisterous voice died off as he scanned around the room. "Aha! (Y/n) will take the schoolyard with you. You'll need a strong fighter for your patrol and no offense, but he's considerably more strong than those of you left." Though the comment was harsh his lighthearted tone cleared the air rather fast.

Once he had finished delegating everyone's roles his traditional two claps sounded off signifying the time to head out had come. Calmly you watched the slow small crowd file out of the room, waiting for the boy who had perched himself on a desk in the back. Out of the shadows you see a gleam of his silver-ish hair and you manage to achieve eye contact. Easily enough you nod your head towards the door and Harry begins to follow from a distance behind. Fast, but soft footsteps approach you quicker than you can react and without warning a warm hand found its way into your own.
It was very off brand for you to be jumpy, but something about that eerie tiptoeing had created an anxiety within your chest. Nonetheless it took both of you by surprise when you practically bounced away from the sincere gesture.

"Dang, I'm sorry, love. So uhm does this mean I no longer get to hold my boyfriend's hand?" His smile turned shy as he looked up and saw your eyes staring, practically swooning, back at him.

Becoming aware of what was happening your face seemed to shine like a red light after every moonlit window you passed. Panicking, you search around the beaten up walls for something witty to say back before eventually giving up. Out of habit you began scratching the back of your neck and angle it so you could catch a glimpse of your small boyfriend. All you could find yourself muttering was a soft apology for jumping.

A content silence falls between the two of you as the cold blue stairwell finally forms into view. It was clear that everyone else was already ahead starting their patrols; meaning you'll most likely need to rush yours. Not that you minded getting in-and-out of the schoolyard as quick as possible, it was by far your least favorite place on the school grounds, especially if Harry is out here.
Moving at a steady pace as you zoned out, Harry often found it difficult to keep up with your long strides as you skipped steps. Little did he know this was slightly intentional because it gave you an excuse to "wait" and watch as his hair would rise and fall with each descending step. Thankfully he stayed oblivious to this fact, or at least acted the part.

The cold breeze hit your faces with a rough smack immediately after the door opened. All you could do was sigh and practice deep breaths before speaking. "Alright, listen up closely, baby doll. You're gonna head west and I'll head east for now before we examine the sides. We only do what's required, the routine check, then exit stage left back inside. No getting distracted, never go out of ear-range of each other, and if you need me you call me no matter what, got it?" His bangs fell lightly over his face as he nodded and started treading the other direction. Anyone could call you a pessimist all they want, but in that moment all you could do was take in every last detail of your baby just in case.

Clearing the lump in your throat as hushed as you could you spoke again. "And Harry?" He spun on his foot to face you, his eyebrows arched in confusion. Before he could refuse you pulled him into your chest and place a loving kiss onto the top of his head. "I'm sorry I'm bossy, but please just be careful."

Harry's smile beamed more radiant than ever in the full moon's light. "You don't need to worry about me, okay? I'm always careful. Besides, now I've gotten someone even more important than myself to come back to." Given those sweet parting words you both went your separate ways checking the barriers for any new predicaments.