Windy Day

The next few days being rough would be an understatement. Of course, to Arthur, it was mainly a blur of going between the store and the house.

Arthur was never allowed to shoot a gun or ride a horse so he had to just walk everywhere with Copper and pray that a bear, a cougar, or a wolf didn't decide to prey on him.

He remembered what his father said about breaking him out of jail. While he was happy to not have the abuse, the main money maker in their duo was gone.

Of course, things could only get worse.

It was a breezy weekend. After that hot day, the wind caught back up, blowing around the men's coats and causing women's hair to fly out of their tight buns.

Arthur had just been going up to the general store to get more beans when he overheard a conversation between the sheriff and a fancy looking, extremely wide set, man.

"Yeah, there's talk of hanging Lyle Morgan within the week we think," the sheriff said.

The larger man laughed. "There's been talk of that ever since y'all brought him in the first time!"

The sheriff's voice dropped. Arthur can just barely hear it when he said, "Yeah, but I think it's for real this time."

Arthur freezed. What was he going to do? Usually his father escapes on his own but it's been weeks.

Arthur realized what he must do. If he didn't want to have to beg and work odd jobs forever to get his meals, then he'd have to break his father out of jail. This would be difficult.

Him and Copper walk down to the jail to scope out the area. The building was wooden throughout with a stone foundation. The building creaked as the wind blew against it, testing its structure.

All of the buildings here creaked from the wind. This was a poor farming town, so many houses were made of thin, cheap materials. You wouldn't believe how cold the house got in winter.

Arthur scratched Copper's floppy ears as he thought of a plan. Then he had a great idea. The building was very flammable.

Rain was supposed to come any day now, so if Arthur was going to save his old man, this would have to be the way.

Before Arthur thought too hard, he went and bought some matches from the general store, and started scheming.