New Home

Arthur, the week before, had found a town to go down to. It was called 'Valentine', down to the south west. It was around 20 miles away, about a 2 day walk.

As soon as his father's hanging was over, he packed up his campsite with his newly bought food and started heading out with his map in hand.

He started off, walking down the dirt path. It was a long walk, causing his feet to ache and his legs to cramp.

Arthur was smart, however, so he remembered to drink lots of water and eat his canned vegetables, other than baked beans.

The first night he started setting up his camp off the road at around 7 PM. By 7:30, it was complete and he was eating some beans warmed over the fire. He had a knife on him, but if someone came after him with a gun, he was done for.

But he took his chances, set up his tent, and fell into a light sleep. He woke again when the sun was rising at 6:00, consulted the map, and continued down the road.

He saw many people on his trip, and even took up a hobby of drawing the people he's seen, saying he can't write about them.

He saw a man with dark brown hair and glasses with massive sideburns driving a wagon.

A few miles later he saw two men riding horses. They had guns and one guy had dark almost black hair slicked back from his forehead and an older guy with light brown hair.

He then saw a woman with red hair and her ginger son on an open wagon. They had lots of cases and even a dresser back there.

The forests of the North were becoming the plains and he had to switch out of his heavy jacket to just his normal work shirt.

He knew he was close to the town when the number of wagons drastically increased. He even saw a shepherd leading sheep across the road.

He made camp again, out in the grass where he could easily see the son set in the west. He had a light sleep again, woke up, and walked the last 5 miles into the town.

He could say Valentine was kind of gross. It was a cattle town with all muddy streets. It reminded him of his last home, flimsy buildings, poor people, but with less of the charm.

He decided that it would be in his best interest to stay around here for now. Eventually, when he was older and it was easier to get a honest job, he would and try to live a normal life.

He thought that one day, he would try to settle down with a wife and maybe some kids. Maybe.