Last Day

Arthur's last day in town was for the hanging of his father. It took a little while to get everything together, and they had a bad snow that winter, so they also had to rebuild the gallows after it got ruined. With that all said and done, it was the start of spring, a nice March day, and 14 year old Arthur had a plan.

He was going to stay in town to watch his father's final breath, then immediately head out. Their house and his father's horse had been taken a week after the arrest, so Arthur had been teaching himself how to camp out and survive.

He still had no idea how to shoot a gun, so he didn't hunt, but he was able to help people around town, make some pocket change, to buy food from the store.

His father was scheduled to hang at noon and when Arthur left the general store for the last time, he headed over to the gallows. It was 11:30, when he asked a nearby man for the time.

It wasn't unknown that Arthur was Lyle's son, so of course the crowd parted, letting him have the front row to see the last of his old man. At 11:45, the sheriff came out with Lyle, hands bound, assisted by some deputies.

"Today, we gather to see the hanging of Lyle Morgan for theft, armed and unarmed assault, murder, and minor abuse," Charlie said, reading off his notecard. "Today, let the dammed be silenced in God's name."

The crowd murmured, glances being thrown Arthur's direction. Arthur hadn't told the sheriff about the past 9 years of abuse, but that one instance was all Charlie needed. The time he saw Lyle punch Arthur, throw him down, and kick him in the face.

Arthur still had scars on his back and stomach from the past years, and a scar on his chin from his old man's boot.

Next thing Arthur knew, the noose was going around Lyle's neck. Arthur wouldn't ever forget this for the rest of his life.

Lyle's eyes dropped to Arthur's. The bags under his eyes were dark and deep, his face gaunt, and his facial hair a mess.

"I'll see you in hell, boy," Lyle hissed to Arthur from his higher point.

This was his last chance to say something to his father before Lyle's neck was snapped and done.

"I'll make sure to kick your ass when I see you there, then," Arthur replied to his threat, his voice neutral.

Whispers went through the stands. Charlie gave Arthur a surprised but approving, almost humored, look.

Lyle's eyes widened in shock, this being the first time Arthur ever talked back, and was the last expression ever on his face before the floor dropped under him.

With a snap, Lyle was dead. Arthur stood and stared for a second as the crowd dispersed. He was free. Lyle's tongue was hanging out of his mouth and was slowly becoming blue. The most haunting thing, however, was how his blank eyes stared right into Arthur's.

Before Charlie or anyone could come to talk to him, maybe give him their condolences, he walked away.

It was time to start over.