Chapter 2

Both Hobbits—the Elder and the Younger—sat on a low cushioned bench against the starboard railing of the stern. Bilbo reached into his cloak and pulled out a parcel of food, a jug of Elf-Wine, two cups, and his pipe. Striking his flint, he lit the pipe and was soon puffing smoke rings.

After a short spell, a ham and cheese sandwich, an apple, a pork pie, a boiled egg, and several cups of Elf-Wine, the two Hobbits relaxed, their pipe smoke blowing towards the Bow. They gazed at the horizon as contentment settled and the chill of the air no longer bit their cheeks.

The only sound was the flapping of the sails and the waves against the sides of the ship. There were a few Elves at the bow of the vessel, but if they spoke their voices were carried away by the wind. Gandalf was nowhere to be seen.

Tentatively, Bilbo began his Tale.

"You remember how I found the Ring don't you Frodo?"

"Of course I do, Uncle."

"Well…Hmmm…er…well, there was a chapter or two I left out of There and Back Again." Frodo's jaw dropped in astonishment. He thought he knew everything there was to know about the Tale.

"Does this have something to do with the Ring? Now that it has been destroyed and its curse lifted, there is surely nothing that can come between us."

"No, Frodo. It's not got anything to do with the Ring…well, I mean…not directly (though it does play a small part)…indeed, without it…erm…well…" sputtered Bilbo.

"Do get on with it Uncle." giggled Frodo. Bilbo pulled him-self together, sat up straight, fixed on Frodo intently with his eyes, then with calmness and authority he cleared his throat and began again.

"Without the Ring, my dear boy, you would have never existed. Indeed, I am more at fault than you could ever know for your sorrows. It all began as I was looking for those wretched Dwarves (confound them) in the dungeons of Thranduil, King of the Mirkwood Elves, and Legolas's father—you know…that fellow did have his cantankerous moments—In any case, I was lost."

"I stumbled around the hallways for weeks trying to find where those dratted Dwarves had got themselves imprisoned. I thought I had finally got the right of it when I entered a small Cavern. I turned a corner, and, all of a sudden, I saw the most stunning sight—a glittering, beautiful, and diamond emblazoned Grotto. Steam rose from the burbling water. I stood there enchanted, lost in a timeless reverie. I thought…well…" Bilbo's face flushed again.

"I thought I was alone—I mean how was I to know—The Forbidden Pool—really, who wouldn't be entranced by such beauty?" his face turned even redder. "As my eye wandered around The Enchanted Grotto, a movement caught my attention—ripples in the water just past a jutting rocky ledge. As my heart thumped so loud I was certain I would be discovered, the most beautiful Elven Lass I had ever seen (she could have put Lady Arwen to shame) emerged, dripping wet, from the water, entirely in a state of…erm…undress."

"I was mortified. But I couldn't look away; some kind of Force held me Petrified. As I watched (I know I shouldn't have) she rose, floating into the air till her toes just barely touched the surface of the steaming water. She began to slowly spin, her eyes closed, and arms reaching for the heavens. The spinning picked up speed and the water rolled off her, like water off a duck's back. Then…to my utter horror…she began to glide towards me."

"Something clicked inside me. I came to, and panicking, scrambled wildly behind a rock. Of course it just happened to be the rock her bath-robe was behind. I trod on it just as it flew up to meet its owner. It pulled out from under my foot, sending me tumbling, face forward, to the ground. By the time I righted myself and turned over to face her, I was shocked to see her smiling down upon me, now swathed in her robes."

"I couldn't comprehend why she just floated there, continuing to smile at me. I was certain that any minute Elf Guards would arrive and roughly toss me into a cell all of my own. The moment seemed to linger for hours. Then she reached out with her hand, and I flinched. She caressed my cheek, and to my dismay, she planted a delicate kiss upon it."

"'Dear Hobbit,' she whispered, 'Do not be frightened. I knew you would eventually come to me.' I was flabbergasted. 'Wha…What do you mean…My Lady?' I sputtered."

"'I have foreseen this moment, the moment I would meet my betrothed, since I left the Undying Lands to help free Middle-Earth from Morgoth. I did not know when it would happen, but I knew…'" A Staggered Frodo interrupted Bilbo.

"What? Betrothed! What do you—did she—mean?" Frodo gasped.

"Well, if I can continue, I'll tell you," Chuckled Bilbo. "I admit, I was as befuddled as you are now. She gave me a soft deep look such as I had never seen. She gave me another kiss—a peck more or less—on my lips, and said, 'But not now, not in this place, Thranduil would not understand. We shall be together again my Beloved, but for now I shall help you find your friends.'"

"I thought her mad at the time. 'Are you certain you're alright?' I muttered 'Perhaps I should call for some help for you.' She laughed, looked at me with concern. 'They would likely kill you right where you stand if they found you here at the Sacred Grotto. No my Dear Sweet Hobbit, I shall help you. Here is a symbol of the Truth of my Love for you.' Then she gave me this."

Bilbo opened his hand, and Frodo, awestruck, gazed at the silver and diamond clasp in it, gleaming in the Morning Sun.