Chapter 4

Galadriel smiled at Frodo from across the table. He squirmed uncomfortably and smiled wanly back. It was one of her "special" smiles, he was certain. Whenever Gandalf, Bilbo, Celeborn, or the other Elves were looking her expression was as inscrutable as a Wizard's. Yet whenever Frodo caught her eye she smiled with that knowing, and fleetingly passionate sidelong glance.

Sam hadn't believed a word of it. "It's your imagination Mr. Frodo, o' course you feel special when she looks at you. She's an Elf-Queen." He would say. Frodo finished his second platter of Roast Venison, Bacon, Mashed Potatoes, Shire Puddings, Gondoran Sourdough Rolls, Peas, Carrots, and Gravy without daring to look up again. He washed it down with several tankards of Elf-Wine. Hearing Gandalf laugh aloud, Frodo looked over at him and Bilbo who seemed to have just finished telling a joke.

Frodo caught Gandalf's eye, and Gandalf winked back at him merrily. Bilbo, Frodo and Gandalf climbed the steps at the back of the dining cabin to the deck above. The wind was up, stronger than the morning one driving the ship ever Westward. Clouds were moving in from the South, a smallish one temporarily obscuring the afternoon sun.

The Wizard and Hobbits lit their pipes and leaned over the railing observing the approaching cloud bank.

"It looks like we might have a rough evening ahead, friends. I hope you and Bilbo have your sea-legs by now Frodo. Frodo…Frodo, are you listening?" Frodo started, never had he been so inattentive to Gandalf before. Gandalf's expression was quizzical.

"It must be the Pipe-Weed," murmured Frodo, embarrassed. "Very potent." he added. In truth, he couldn't stop thinking about Tauriel and Bilbo. For the first time in his life Frodo couldn't wait for Gandalf to leave him and Bilbo alone, so he could hear the rest of the tale.

The minutes seemed to stretch on into hours, but finally Frodo and Bilbo were alone again.

"Let's see," began Bilbo, "where was I? Oh yes, cuddling Tauriel on those long winter nights at Beorn's. She told me her story; her parents had long passed on to the Halls of Mandos after being killed in one of the skirmishes with Morgoth. She was alone now, her closest kin still in Middle-Earth being the House of Thranduil, cousins several times removed."

"They took her in, and eventually, after proving herself time and time again in battles with the Goblins and Fell Beasts of Dol Guldur, Tauriel was honoured with a post as an elite member of Thranduil's personal Guard. Despite this, Tauriel told me she had always felt apart from the rest."

"The other Mirkwood Elves never quite accepted her as one of them. Only Legolas and Thranduil took to Tauriel without reserve. Andruil, Legolas's half-brother…" Bilbo registered Frodo's shocked expression as he opened his mouth to interrupt. He raised his hands gesturing to stop, and hurried on before Frodo could get in a word. "Don't ask, that's a story all in itself Frodo. Surely you want to hear the rest of this one first. There will plenty of time for others on this voyage."

Frodo deflated and Bilbo continued.

"Anyway, Legolas's half-brother Andruil, was also a member of the Elf-King's Guard and apparently had long nursed a grudge against Legolas and was increasingly embittered that Thranduil would not acknowledge him as a legitimate son…" Frodo again tried to interject.

"Bother it," grumbled Bilbo, "alright…alright. In brief, Andruil's mother was Thranduil's second wife, taken many years after Legolas's mother was killed in battle with the Necromancer's forces. That's all you really need to know for now…oh, and that Thranduil could not acknowledge Andruil as a legitimate heir without risking his alliance with the family of Legolas's mother. Of course everyone knew Andruil was the King's son, but he couldn't be recognized as Prince unless Legolas was killed in battle. Only then would he be an official heir."

"In any case, Thranduil loved Andruil very much and didn't like to play favourites, so he gave Andruil a post in his Royal Guard (it really is the Highest Honour among Elves you know), and always tried to treat him fairly. Nevertheless, Andruil developed quite a chip on his shoulder. And it didn't help when Tauriel became favoured by the Elf-King."

"Tauriel, Legolas, and his father were thick as thieves, and it was rumoured for a time that Thranduil was grooming them for marriage. But Legolas was resistant, many thought because he was quite the playboy (for an Elf—though that says a lot coming from Mirkwood Elves)." Bilbo chuckled at that.

"Tauriel revealed to me that she was certain that Legolas could sense her fealty to another. But, no matter what they did or didn't do, Andruil continued to harbour resentments. Tauriel could not find peace, and often bore the brunt of Andruil's barbs."

"At the time Tauriel asked to be my personal Guard, Andruil had been sowing many seeds of accusations against her with Thranduil. She knew that to openly declare herself betrothed to a Hobbit would be impossible, far more so than even if I had been a Man of Numenorean descent."

"And thus, Tauriel's plan was a success…at least for a while anyway. After winter had passed Gandalf took me aside one fine spring morning, larks singing and forest flowers blooming. He studied me intently for a moment; then winked at me, his face crinkling into a smile. 'We ought to make haste for Rivendell and then off home Bilbo, but for now we must part. You have another task to complete before you leave these lands.' I was flabbergasted.

"'But Gandalf, what else is there to do,' I cried 'I have done all that you asked and more. Smaug is dead, and the old alliances re-forged, and—according to you—the Necromancer has been driven from Mirkwood.'

'Bilbo, the task before you is your own. The Lady Tauriel will guide you on this part of the journey. It is for you and her alone. I shall meet you again when you pass through The House of Elrond, and see you and Tauriel back to the Shire.'"

"So clearly Gandalf knew something was up, in fact he seemed (and still does) to know more about my destiny than I did (and do) myself. Well, he is a Wizard after all." Frodo was rapt, not wanting Bilbo to stop. He was awoken from his enchantment by a big fat raindrop on his nose.

While Bilbo had been telling the tale, the cloudbank had gathered above them and swiftly become a storm-front. An Elf-Sailor approached them bearing a tarp and weatherproofed cloaks.

"You are both fine here for the time being," said the Elf. "We will be traveling along the edge of this storm for a while yet. But when the waves come up, it will be time to retreat to your cabin." And with that, the Hobbits covered up and gleefully witnessed the spectacle of Nature as the rain began to fall in earnest.

Bilbo excitedly continued his story.

"I really had very little idea of what was going on. Gandalf departed that morning, and bewildered, I approached Tauriel. She laughed in that musical way that only an Elf in love can."

"'Mithrandir is wise indeed. Yes Bilbo, we must journey back through the forest to the Mirkwood Mountains and find the Enchanted Falls that feeds the Enchanted Stream. There, under the Full Moon, in that Sacred Place, can we consummate our betrothal. Then shall we be bound in the Grace of Eru, and none may challenge us, Elf, Man, or Hobbit.'"

"So, we packed our bags, told Beorn that we would be passing back through in a month or so, and we were off on Horseback, heading back into Mirkwood. Oh Mirkwood is gorgeous in the Spring Frodo, especially with most of the Fell Creatures driven out. Butterflies flitted to and fro amongst the flowers, pink, and gold, and amethyst, and turquoise, all the colours of the rainbow."

There was a loud peal of thunder, and lightning lit up the deck. A wave crested on the port side washing across the deck and rocking the ship. The Hobbits were drenched. Frodo looked disappointed.

"Well that was quicker than we were led to believe Uncle. We should head below."

"What…because of this little shower?" Bilbo grumbled.

"It's not safe now Bilbo. Come on."

"Bah, I've seen worse than this you know."

"Yes, but that was on land Uncle." Replied Frodo; his eyes rolling. "This is far too dangerous for us." And indeed, an Elf came up at that very moment and urged the Hobbits down below.

The Adventures of Bilbo and Taurielजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें