Chapter 3

Frodo took the silver and diamond clasp. It was shaped like interlocking leaves, reminding him strongly of the Leaves of Lorien. He passed it back to Bilbo, and puzzlement furrowed his brow. There was something odd about Bilbo's revised story.

"Uncle, how did she…the Elf…"

"Lady Tauriel," interrupted Bilbo.

"…Tauriel then. How did the Lady Tauriel see you? I thought you were invisible the entire time you were working out how to free the Dwarves from the Elf King's dungeons."

Bilbo looked sheepishly at Frodo, hemming and hawing as he considered his words.

"Well…you know…as I said—harumph—I…er, did leave out some bits of the story before. And as much as I enjoyed that Ring and its powers, I always felt a little nervous about wearing it for any extended length of time. I suppose I was afraid if I wore it too long I might never become visible again. So, when I was certain I was alone, I would take it off. But it didn't seem particularly relevant, so I left it out of the story."

Light dawned on Frodo, and he smiled to himself. So that was why it had taken an apparently Invisible Bilbo several weeks to free the Dwarves.

"In any case," Bilbo hurried on anxiously, "Lady Tauriel introduced herself to me, and…er…showed me the right way to the dungeons…"

"And the underground stream, and the wine cellars?" snickered Frodo.

"Yes…yes," snapped Bilbo. Then he sighed resignedly. "Yes, alright, not quite the Heroic Tale you remember, but…"

"It's alright Uncle," laughed Frodo, "You risked life and limb, and frankly, it was even more heroic of you to have attempted the rescue without using the Ring as much as you would have liked."

Bilbo brightened up at that, reassured. He hadn't considered that angle before. Confidence regained, he continued his story.

"Well then, Lady Tauriel met with me several times in secret and helped me plan the escape. It was she who helped distract the Guards in the end. I still didn't really believe the whole 'betrothed' bit, thought she was perhaps just a wee bit eccentric. But, I was enraptured with her nonetheless, and who am I to argue with an Elf (especially such a beautiful and enchanting one)?"

"The morning before I packed the Dwarves in the barrels, Tauriel took me aside. 'We shall not be parted long Dear One,' she began, 'Your quest will bring us together again before you return to the Shire. This much I know. I must prepare myself and make plans for our betrothal. It will not be an easy task to convince my kin-folk. Yet we are as bound together as ever were Beren and Luthien.' And with that she kissed me…not a peck such as before…nor the sort of sloppy wet kiss that might prelude a…er…sordidly casual encounter, but a Deep Kiss of such Passion and Grace that parting from it seemed to rend my very heart from my body. When I bade her farewell, I was finally convinced that we were intended."

"I couldn't bear leaving after that, but that kiss kept me warm all the way to Lake-Town." Bilbo finished dreamily. Frodo allowed him a few moments of reverie, before prodding him to continue the story.

"Well, I didn't see Lady Tauriel again until after The Battle of Five Armies. And I was desperately anxious for her, as she had revealed to me that she was a Warrior-Elf whose duty was to be the Elf-King's royal guard. I was very relieved to find her unharmed but for a few nicks and bruises as Gandalf and I rode back to Mirkwood with the Elf-King. She smiled at me warmly, then rode forward and leaned in to speak with Thranduil in hushed tones."

"I must say, the Elf-King's son Legolas, practically smirked as he watched Tauriel fall back beside Gandalf, myself and Beorn. I know she hadn't told them the Truth, but clearly that rapscallion Legolas was suspicious." Bilbo chuckled as he reminisced.

"She told us that Thranduil had given her the honour of being my personal escort back to the Shire or whither I might go, in gratitude for my small part in re-forging old alliances. So after parting from the company of Elves, she continued on with us to Beorn's"

"While we wintered at Beorn's, we grew very close, and Tauriel would steal to my room after all were asleep. We conversed about many things, shared Elf-Wine and laughter, and…erm…snuggled by the blazing fire."

"Snuggled?" giggled Frodo, "I didn't know Elves 'snuggled'." Smirking, Frodo gentled poked his Uncle in the ribs. "Though for some reason I occasionally get the impression that Galadriel might be up for a bit of 'snuggling'."

Bilbo looked horrified and quickly scanned the deck for any nearby Elves.

"Ssssh!" he hushed Frodo. "'tis no joking matter (especially as far as Lady Galadriel is concerned). Don't let the other Elves hear you saying such unseemly things. Come now, let's get some lunch and I'll tell you some more a bit later."