Chapter 6

"As Tauriel and I made our way up the slope towards the pass, the maples, oaks, and elms were largely replaced by pines, spruces, and junipers. Soon patches of half melted snow could be seen in nooks that the sun never reached. It was late afternoon now, so we made camp under a rocky outcropping."

"Tauriel kept looking back the way we came distractedly, making me nervous.

'Are we still being followed by Vampyres Tauriel?' I queried. She frowned, perplexed.

'No…they will not return dear Bilbo. Yet I feel that we are still being followed, though by whom I do not know. I brought us this way to minimize the chance of discovery by my Elf-Kin, but…' she trailed off, clearly disturbed."

"Our sleep that night was restless; the horse kept starting at odd noises. When morning broke, stiff and sore we continued our journey. Soon, snow-pack crunched under our feet and the trees grew thinner. We stopped, and put on our Elf-cloaks. I was surprised that they were now white, but I mused that their magic camouflage was at work. Tauriel pulled out a pouch of some sparkly sort of powder and sprinkled it on the soles of our feet and the horse's hooves."

"'That should prevent us from leaving a trail.' Tauriel said, noting my puzzled expression. Remarkably, it worked. As the snowy slope steepened, I looked back and could see no foot or hoof-prints. By midday, we reached the summit of the pass, and we rested in a small thicket of conifers. She kept looking down the mountain as we lunched, but I could see nothing."

"We continued down the other side after lunch. But clouds had engulfed the mountains, and we traversed in thick fog. The ground was still covered in snow, but the trees began increasing. I wasn't certain precisely where we were heading, but I knew that our destination drew nearer."

"The trees and the fog seemed to swallow us, and I became anxious again.

'Stop,' hissed Tauriel. 'Stay behind me Bilbo. This is my fight.' Frightened, I obeyed her as she unsheathed her sword. My heart caught in my throat. Out of the swirling mist three scowling Elves emerged. I recognized the leader as Andruil, son of Thranduil."

"'Surely you didn't think the Concealment Powder would work on us Tauriel.' sneered Andruil. 'We've been tracking you ever since we found the corpses of the Flying Uruk you killed. We had been on their trail as we hunt the remnants of the Necromancer's forces.'

'I did not know who followed us,' Tauriel responded acidly, 'It was a necessary precaution.'

'And your unsheathed sword…Is that also a necessary precaution, My Lady?' He said those last two words with a vehement sarcasm most unbecoming an Elf."

"'That depends on the reason for your pursuit, Andruil. Why do you follow us? You obviously knew who you were tracking.'

'Yes, I did. The wounds on the corpses of the Winged Goblins bore your signature. What are you and that Rodent doing back in our Realm Tauriel? I had hoped you would be long gone by now, well over the Misty Mountains, never to return.'

'It is no business of yours, Andruil. The Hobbit and I have a task that only concerns Eru.'

'Eru? Don't make me laugh,' said Andruil. 'I always knew you were a traitor to your kind. I've known ever since you turned down my hand in marriage. And here you are on a path to the Enchanted Falls, with that…that Halfling. You couldn't even choose a Man. Thranduil is a fool to have trusted you.' The other two Elves looked nervously at each other as Andruil's voice rose in anger. 'And now I have proof, I shall take you and the Rat back for the King's judgment—dead if you make it necessary.'"

"At that, one of the other Elves grasped Andruil's arm in dismay.

'My Lord, you cannot,' he gasped in shock, 'It is grave indeed to threaten one of our own…'

'What? She is not one of our own. She is a Harlot, a disgrace to all Elf-kind.' He jerked his arm away from his companion. And I leapt forward, forgetting myself in my anger at hearing my Beloved besmirched.

'Villain,' I cried, 'Apologise at once for your foul discourtesy to the Lady Tauriel. An Elf like you should be ashamed to use such despicable language.'

'The Rat speaks,' snarled the Angry Elf, 'Do you not see the truth now my friends? These two are an abomination; come, assist me in their capture.'"

"The other two Elves looked at each other again, stone-faced. The one that had spoken previously looked back at Andruil and spoke up again.

'No, my Lord, the Lady Tauriel has the King's favour, and she has proven herself worthy in battle many times over.' He bowed towards Tauriel and gestured towards the silent Elf. 'Forgive our intrusion my Lady, we shall take our leave. Blessed be your journey.'"

"Andruil was enraged.

'Fine, begone then you cowardly vermin,' he roared, 'Run back to the Halls of the King. When I return with these two in bonds, I will see to it that Thranduil's judgment falls upon you also.' Andruil's companions melted silently back into the mist.

'Well, what is it to be Tauriel? Is the Rodent worth it? I'll give you another chance, come back with me and pledge our betrothal to Thranduil. Or defy me and return in chains—or worse.'"

"'He is not a Rodent,' snarled Tauriel, 'Bilbo is a Hobbit. And he is more of a Man or Elf than you will ever be. His courage, stout heart, and clarity of purpose make him as Noble of Spirit as any Elf-Liege.' Well Frodo, even in the midst of my fright, I couldn't help but be delightfully chuffed by the Lady's speech. My face grew hot, and I dare say it could have melted the glaciers above. But I had little time to get a swelled head."

"With another roar, Andruil lunged forward slashing at Tauriel with his sword. She slipped out of her cloak and parried his first blow with ease. It was a furious battle, and the snow became a muddy puddle in their circle. Blades clanged, and sweat flew. I cringed when I saw the edge of Andruil's sword trace a red line across her thigh."

"As good as Andruil was though, it was clear by far that Tauriel was his better. For every nick he bestowed upon her, he received 10 gashes. Finally, she had a clear advantage, and swept his feet out from under him with a low spinning back-kick. She stood over the prone exhausted Elf and glared at him, her sword at his throat."

"After a moment the defeated Elf spoke.

'What are you waiting for…coward? Kill me and be done with it.'

'You may have no respect for your Kin-folk Andruil, but I do. To spill the blood of one's own is a terrible deed. Now crawl back to the House of Thranduil, and tell him what you wish. You have nothing to confirm your story. And apparently, I have made more friends among the Elves of the Greenwood than I realized. But you can tell Thranduil one thing from me, that I can never return to his Halls while I must protect Bilbo and myself from the likes of you. Now, get you hence.'"

"Snarling, Andruil staggered to his feet and whistled for his horse. After climbing on he wheeled to face us.

'I will pass on your message to Thranduil, mark my words. But if our paths should ever cross again, only one of us will leave alive.' And with that the Brute galloped off into the misty woods."

"Tauriel was trembling with emotion and exhausted, bleeding from numerous cuts. I held her close as she sobbed into my shoulder. After a while, we broke apart and left the clearing to find shelter for the night. We set up camp under an enormous oak-tree, well shielded from the elements and out of the snow."

"Our supper that night was meager, but after binding Tauriel's wounds we drank some Elf-Wine, and I lit my pipe. She felt more relaxed in my arms than she had for several days. We slept soundly that night."

"And that's it for tonight my boy," yawned Bilbo sleepily.

"What? You can't stop now. What happened next? Uncle, I have to know." Frodo agitatedly grasped Bilbo's shoulder.

"Heh, heh," Bilbo chuckled. "It's time for us to sleep dear lad. Don't worry, I'll tell you more tomorrow."

"Pfooie, how can I sleep now?" grumbled Frodo.

Frodo lay in his bunk wide awake as the ship lurched back and forth on the stormy sea. Excited thoughts jumbled in his brain. Soon enough though, his snores joined Bilbo's in symphony with the creaking of the ship, the pounding of the waves, and the thunderclaps.