Chapter 11

"The next day, we rejoined Legolas and his friends and together we made for Beorn's. A week later Beorn was once again hosting us for the winter. In the safety of our cozy room by the glowing fire, Tauriel took my hand and placed it on her abdomen, beaming broadly at me.

'I know you will not be able to feel him yet Bilbo, but here inside me, our son already stirs.' Tears of jubilation welled in my eyes; I had never believed that I would one day be a father.

'My son,' I whispered."

"In that instant, I knew that Tauriel and my unborn son's safety must be my top concern. I could not allow Tauriel to face any dangers alone. But we were safe for the time being under Beorn's protection. By mid-March the snows began melting and it would soon be time to move on. Word was sent ahead to Rivendell to look for our arrival."

"It was too early for Tauriel to be showing, but her morning nausea evidenced her pregnancy. I fretted anxiously over her as we prepared to depart.

'Try not to worry so Dear Bilbo,' she told me with a tinkling laugh. 'We Elf-Maidens are hardier than we look. And the sickness will pass in another few weeks. My own mother slew 100 Orcs the day she gave birth to me.' If anything, her stoic attitude only increased my anxiety. I didn't want her to battle one Goblin, to say nothing about 100. I just wished we were safe at home in the Shire."

"Beorn assured me that the Eagles would watch over us as we traversed the High Pass, and would fly to our aid if necessary. Once in Rivendell, Elrond or Gandalf would provide an escort home. So all we had to do was make it over the Misty Mountains."

"We had been two days on the trail; snow still lay deep as we approached the summit of the pass. The rays of the setting sun painted the clouds a copper red against the deepening blue of sky, reflecting off the snow to bathe us in an eerie reddish glow. Tauriel and I set up camp under a rocky ledge that sheltered an area of bare ground amidst an alcove of rock. I couldn't sleep a wink; Tauriel seemed feverish and restless."

"I heard the crunching of footsteps approaching some time after midnight. They sounded many. In fear for Tauriel and my unborn son, I pulled the Ring from my pocket and slipped it on Tauriel's finger. And none too soon. That brigand Andruil stepped around the boulders just as I had pulled Sting from his scabbard. To this day I'm not certain if it was a trick of light, but Sting was glowing brightly blue"

"'The Shire Rat,' he snarled, 'She can't be far, Spread out and find her.' He called out to his compatriots before addressing me. 'So, you think to duel me Master Hobbit? How brave of you!' He sneered. I circled around him, leading him out of the alcove.

'It makes little difference to me, whether I bring you back dead or alive, rodent.'

I had hoped to heroically laugh off the miscreant's pathetic insults, but my tongue got the better of me.

'Is that why you got kicked out of the House of Thranduil?' I mocked, '…Because of your seriously limited verbal skills? I've heard better insults from a Troll.'"

"He shrieked. That's the absolute Truth Frodo. I couldn't believe my ears. He shrieked exactly like a raging Goblin and lunged at me. Instinctively I parried his blow (apparently 26 years of training with an Elven Warrior Princess paid off). But he was faster than a Hobbit and recovered quickly, whirling to face me again."

"I used my size to advantage and rolled under his next swing and right between his legs, slicing at his calf on the way through. Andruil grunted and fell to one knee, my blade pointing at his nose. He looked about for his comrades and opened his mouth to call them. Panicking, I interrupted, perhaps foolishly.

'What? A fearless and mighty Warrior Elf such as you can't handle a single Halfling by himself? If I were your acolyte, I'd think twice about following you.' The juvenile taunt worked. He staggered to his feet and squared off against me."