A Whole New World

On that day, Ken Kaneki's whole world fell apart. Everything precious in his life taken from him. His family. Anteiku. Even Hide, his best friend. Kaneki crawled out of the burning Anteiku, trudging through the freshly fallen snow, carrying the most precious person in his life under a white sheet. While he was walking, Kaneki could see humans and ghouls alike fighting, killing, dying.. Trying to survive.

A sudden gust of crisp winter air blew the white sheet covering Hide. Several investigators turned to watch as he passed by confused, but soon went to save their comrades. Then, he came face to face with the most feared investigator, the CCG's Reaper, Kishou Arima.

Kaneki looked down and studied the face of his best friend. Hide's face was a pasty white, his body devoid of any warmth of life, blood still spilling out of the wound in his abdomen onto the freshly fallen snow. Kaneki set Hide onto the snow and brushed snow from his hair.

I'll never be able to see his bright smile again, will I.., Kaneki thought, barely refusing the fact that his friend was lying dead at his feet.

The CCG's Reaper looked up at the strange ivory haired ghoul. Though Arima knew that he needed to kill ghouls, something was different about this one. But before the White Reaper could do anything, a surge of blue energy surrounded Kaneki, pulling him from his world.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kaneki woke up staring up at a dark, cloudy sky with snowflakes descending around him. It was now that reality finally hit him, and he felt the full repercussions of what had happened that day. Kaneki started to feel numb. He tried to distract himself, the sounds of the city, the cloudy sky, anything. Anything to keep from thinking about all he'd lost. It didn't work. It never did.

I wonder if this winter will ever end..

Kaneki sat up, observing his new surroundings. It looked like he was in a city, most likely in America considering everyone spoke English. He stood up, duly noting the Hide's blood still on his hands and what had been rubbed off onto the snow. He limped through some back alleys to find some abandoned buildings to rest. Though his body was running on instinct, his mind was in a completely different place.

In a dark alley, he spotted a starving homeless man. With his kakugan flaring to life, Kaneki ran up and ripped the man's throat out with his teeth and began feasting. What Kaneki didn't notice, was the gaze of someone across the busy street. The man grabbed his cell phone and quickly dialed a number.

"Fury, I found the cause of the power surge in Manhattan.."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Throughout the next week or two, Kaneki learned that he had teleported to another dimension. At least, that's all he could figure, since he was in New York City and it was a few years in the past compared to his world and the technology was much more advanced than before. There was also no sign of ghouls anywhere, even in a big city like this. Kaneki felt that he was slowly going crazy, not that he wasn't already partly insane.

He went around the city of New York to find suicide spots for food sources and went to find someone to forge a fake ID and papers for him. Which is easier said than done. Soon enough, Kaneki made a temporary home in an abandoned building a few blocks from his new workplace at Nadia's Cafe. Though Kaneki didn't think he deserved it, he new Hide would want him to take this chance at a new life. A second chance of sorts. Kaneki was slowly starting to accept this new life before him, even if he was unbearably lonely.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

During one of his shifts, Kaneki was running the bar when a redheaded woman came through the front door of the cafe. Kaneki put down the cup he was polishing and adorned his mask of cheerful friendliness.