Seeds of Distrust

(A/n btw, the timeline is a lil skewed, so when everyone else is talking with Fury, Nat is talking to Loki in his cell)

"Why don't we ask Fury himself..

We might as well, he's right behind you."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The majority of people in the small room whipped around to find Fury menacingly standing in the doorway. He walked into the room, the tension in the room thickening, Hide and Thor following behind him. Steve was first to break the tense silence.

"So Fury, care to explain why S.H.I.E.L.D I'd making weapons of mass destruction?"

Tony was next, still slightly shaken from when Kaneki tackled him.

"I'm sure that's what all of us want to know. Among other things.."

Tony muttered that last sentence, earning a cold, hard, glare from the albino ghoul. Steve took that moment to speak up again, prompting most everyone else to start arguing.

"I thought the world had changed.. but I guess not."

It was hard to hear much of anything in the small room with everybody yelling at each other, save for Hide and Kaneki. The shooting came to an abrupt halt when Fury exclaimed loudly.

"We're doing this because of people like him!"

He pointed straight at Thor accusingly.

"Prople from other worlds that we can't hold a candle against.

We had to take some kind of action."

Thor tried to tone down the explosive situation.

"The Asgardians mean nothing but peace and goodwill for your people."

"But you're not the only ones out there are you."

Fury said that more as a statement than a question, sarcasm drawing out every word. At this Thor got agitated, ultimately making the situation worse. Bruce then took a shot at diffusing the arguement.

"Why don't we all just calm down and try and talk about this like civilized human beings."

As Tony was going to start arguing again, Fury hushed him and put a hand up to his ear, listening to whoever was on the other side. Whatever he heard, it wasnt good. He glanced from Kaneki to Bruce several times, tense as a board.

"Banner, Kaneki, you two g-"

*RUMBLE* *CSSSH*

The hull of the Helicarrier shivered underneath them, explosions sounding further in the reaches of the ship. A sense of fear and panic took over the passengers in the ship. Most of the Avengers sprung to action, going to the armory to find their suits and weapons. Fury stopped Kaneki and Bruce as they were about to leave.

"You two go and find Natasha, Loki is after one of you, and were not sure why yet. Try your best to find her without going berserk or getting yourself killed."

With those parting words, he swiftly left, heading in the direction of the bridge. Kaneki cursed under his breath, shaking his head and turning to the man beside him. He looked him up and down, Banner was still notably in shock of what just happened.

"Sorry about this Banner,"

Kaneki released his kagune, wrapping one of his limbs around Bruce, lifting him from the ground and bringing his body close to him. Bruce let out an undignified yelp as he was being moved around like a rag doll.

".. but we'll move faster this way."

He took off out of the room, heading to the last place Natasha was known to be. At Loki's cell.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

-before the attack, at Loki's cell-

Natasha was in the process of interrogating Loki. She knew that torture wasn't the way to go to get him to talk, but to speak with him until the God made a mistake. All she had to do was trick the trickster, which is easier said than done.

Right now, Loki was trying to get into her head, spinning half-truths. Natasha's childhood was twisted and wrong, but it didnt affect her anymore, years of cold-blooded killing does that to a person's emotions.

"They raised you to be a mindless killing machine, devoid of anything, nothing to slow you down or cloud your judgment.

Without them, you're nothing. Nobody will want to love a monster like you."

Loki mover quickly to the glass wall of his cell, slamming his fist down harshly. Natasha's face morphed into a fearful expression, bringing her arms up to give her a sense of protection. Loki chuckled, pleased with himself at scaring the stone-cold agent.

Natasha turned away from him, sniffing lightly as if she were shedding tears. Loki leaned up smirking devilishly at her trembling figure.

"Speaking of monsters, if I'm not mistaken there are two deadly beasts on your team as well.

I wonder what would happen if one of them went berserk on such a, fragile, craft such as this? I imagine it would be devastating."

After Loki finished his little speech, the Black Widow's presence and body language immediately switched, like turning off a flashlight. Her back straightened and shoulders pulled back, standing tall and confident. Natasha pulled a hand to her ear, speaking into the earpiece.

"Loki is after the Hulk, most likely Kaneki as well. He wants to make them start a killing spree and bring down the ship."

Natasha turned around to glimpse at Loki's utterly shocked expression. She put on a small smile, like a store clerk would give to their customer.

"Thank you for your cooperation."

Sarcasm lacing her tone, she stalked away to find Banner and Kaneki.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And done!

It's a little under 1000 words, but I thought that this would be a better stopping point 😆

Hope you guys enjoyed and I'll see ya again soon~