Chapter 3: A Break in

I woke up to Noel coming back into her house. "What time is it?" I asked sitting up. "Half past 9." She replied."Did you get the flyers hung up?" "Yeah, they're all over town."

"You'll find her." I said trying to reassure her."I hope so; hey do you still have that casserole in your fridge at your place?" "Yeah," I replied. "Great! Let's go!" I got up and shook my head. It seems like we're eating casserole.

***

We walked into the apartment and, "Oh my god!" I yelled. The whole place was completely trashed. "Did Penny do this?" Noel exclaimed.

"No way, I got a text from her on the way over here saying she was out with a friend." "Josh?" She continued. "He's working today,""Did someone break in?!" She screamed.

"Shhh!" I whispered loudly. "They might still be here, call 911." I continued on.I raced to the hallway closet and got Josh's old softball bat from when he wanted to be sporty.

Then I started walking...I walked slowly, until I reached Penny's room, which was the only one open. I aimed the bat and kicked the door wider.

"No one's here!" I yelled to Noel who was frozen in the middle of the hallway. "What!" She screamed running to Penny's room."It's trashed," I sighed to myself.

***

"We came home and the living room was trashed, we thought it was broken into and maybe the robber was still here," I told the officer standing in my living room.

"Ma'am, this wasn't a robbery," "Excuse me?!" Noel yelled. "Ma'am nothing appears to be stolen."His words haunted me.

They still do to this day. Why would someone break into an apartment and steal nothing.I'd soon find out...

***

"Yeah, the officers interviewed us and, they said nothing was stolen..." "That doesn't make any sense, why would someone do that?" Penny asked from the other side of the phone."I don't know," I replied. "But I also don't want to know."

***

I stayed over at Noel's that night. I think Penny and Josh just crashed at home."Psst," "Psst." Noel repeated in my ear. "What?" I moaned with my eyes still shut.

"I'm scared," I rolled over. "Me too," I replied. "There were wires cut outside my apartment the other day," "Did you call the police?!" She screamed sitting up."I didn't think I needed to, I mean..." "You mean what Katie? Someone is targeting you Kat.

And you're just ignoring it." (BUZZ BUZZ)"It's Mark," I replied. I got up and went into the bathroom. "Hey," I said.

"Hey I know it's late but I'm broken down," "Where are you?" I asked."Green Lake Road." "On my way," I Replied. I went out of the bathroom and started putting my pants on.

"Are you going home?" "No, Mark said he's broken down at Green Lake road.""Katie it's two in the morning," Noel expressed with emotion. "Well he's broken down so, I have to go get him."

"What would he even be doing, going to Green Lake at 2 in the morning?" Noel questioned."How would I know?" I asked while putting my boots on and grabbing my keys.

"I don't know Katie, the lake at 2 in the morning? Seems a little sketchy to me.""Bye Noel," I said and gave her a reassuring smile as I went out the door.

I knew Noel was probably right, but Mark was probably just needing a night swim, I know I could use one.

***

I drove down Green Lake road looking for Mark. Right before you'd hit the turn to the actual lake I spotted Mark, and his car."What are you doing here?!"

I asked while also screaming laughing. "I was going for a drive," "At 2 am?" I asked again. "Yeah, it actually helps." He sighed.

"With...""With the stresses of, life, of the team, of, everything." "Need a ride?" I asked trying to avoid the soppy conversation we were about to have.

***

"Any chance we can have our date in the morning?" I asked him. "Actually I'm kinda tired,""Oh right," I replied.

It was 2 am in the morning not like he's going to be up for lunch the next day.I drove him home then headed back to Noel's. No way I was going home with the, with the stuff going on lately.

***

"Hey," I said walking into the door to Noel's. "Why are you up?" I asked. "Couldn't sleep, did you get Mark home?""Yeah, I offered an early date but he said he was tired."

"Ouch." She replied. "What's that for?" I said giving her a look."Well usually a guy saying "I'm tired" or "I'm busy" means they don't want to hangout.

"What?" I screamed with disbelief.     "No, no he definitely wants to hang out with me. He was up at 2 in the morning wouldn't you be tired?"   "Yes," She replied.

    "This is exactly why I would be at home watching Bengi and not out for a midnight drive,""He's was going for a swim." I corrected her.

     "Whatever," "speaking of Bengi..." "Of course!" I screamed. We sat down and watched the movie for the millionth time.And there was a perfect day. Watching movies on Netflix.

The perfect beginning to a horrific ending.