Chapter 8: Search Party Gone Wrong

"Okay, do we have everything?"

"I think so," Josh replied zipping up his backpack.

"Did you call the police station to let them know?"

"Yeah i did, Kat," He said assuring me.

"Penny are you almost done in there?!"

"Almost!" She replied. "Hey Kat, do you think this is a good idea?"

"It's the best idea I have right now," I replied while placing a water bottle into my backpack.

"Are we ready?" Penny asked.

"We are now," Josh said while opening the door.

"Awesome," Penny sighed tiredly and went out the door.

I zipped up my backpack and quickly followed Penny. Leaving Josh to lock the door before we loaded up the car and headed to Albreach.

Being out there was amazing. Albreach was beautiful, Even though you could only see trees. It was the way the sun shined in between it's branches. It would of been perfect if Noel & Mark weren't missing.

We drove off the highway and Josh pulled into the trees. Grabbing the handle on the door I paused. What if they were hurt? Or worse...

I quickly came to my senses and opened the door.

"Where do we want to start?" I asked. "Well Noels smart." "So is Mark." I said before either Josh or Penny could answer.

"So let's just follow the river, Good?" Josh suggested.

"Good." I agreed. Penny just nodded.

The river flowed through the entire forest, letting us admire the beauty of the forest but I'm sure it would have more fun if Noel and Mark weren't missing. We hiked through yelling their names.

"Noel!"

"Mark!"

"Mark!"

No answer at all.

Where are they?" I whispered. Penny who was right beside me, hugged me.

"Come on Kat, we'll find them. Come on we're nearly to the lake" Penny said rubbing my arm and hiking ahead of me.

"That won't be necessary." Confused if that was even Josh talking, we both turned.It was.

"What do you mean?" I asked him. He just looked at me and dropped his bag

"I guess I better confess now," He replied squatting down to unzip it.

Confess, What?" Penny asked nervously.

He pulled out a gun. "I've been stalking you."

***
"Oh my god," I gasped, my eyes wide open. I quickly ran to Penny. She was more shocked than I was and she was hurt.

"But how? We saw you chase that man down blocks," Penny asked.

"Oh that, yeah Mark helped a little." He replied smiling.

"No!" I screamed feeling betrayed.

My eyes filled up with tears and my heart sank. And no matter how hard I closed my eyes,I didn't wake up from the nightmare.

I was still sitting on the ground sobbing.

"Hello," Josh said answering the phone. "Why would you go over there?! Fine. We'll be there soon."

"Get up," He says pointing his gun. Holding us at gunpoint he shoved us in the direction of the lake.

As we walked up to the lake I spotted a canoe tied to a tree. So I assumed he was taking us too.

"Stay there." He said sternly as he turned away to untie the canoe. Standing in utter silence, with Penny by my side, I watched as she picked up the branch.

About to ask what she was doing, she looks up at me slowly putting her finger over the mouth. Implying me to be quiet.

Aiming the branch at Josh, she thrashed over his head. I gasped as I watched him hit the ground. "Hurry, come on!" Penny said. "Wait!" I yelled noticing he didn't have his gun.

Looking on the ground I saw his gun. And picked it up before he could've. After I realized I didn't how to use it, I helped Penny untie the canoe and got inside of it.

I pushed as hard as I could but I didn't know how to row, neither did Penny. Paddling as hard as I could, I look back to see Josh waking up.

"Penny," I said. "I know," she replied. "Just keep going," looking back again I watched as he jumped in after us.

"Penny he's in the water!" I yelled. "What?!" She replied stopping. I set down my paddle and began looking in the water.

Looking in the water I started to feel the boat rock. I looked up at Penny to see the same look I was giving her. We knew what was about to happen.

All the sudden the boat tipped over and we fell in the water. I felt my body plunge in the water as if I had fallen off a cliff.

I quickly swam up too the surface, looking for Penny I scanned the water. In stead I found Josh swimming right for me.

Panicking, I reached for one of the paddles as he swam closer, and hit Josh. Tears filled my eyes as I watched him sink.

Letting go of the paddle I swam to shore. Coughing and gasping for air, I looked up, only to see Mark. As he says,

"Hello Lover,"