Chapter 6: Recovery Road leads straight to Suspicion Boulevard

My eyes were filling up with tears as Penny loaded into the ambulance. Josh was crying too, but trying to be strong for me and Penny. Gathering up himself he only blurted two words out. "Let's go."

***

In the hospital room Josh was sitting beside Penny while holding her hand. She hadn't woken up yet. I was sitting on the pull out couch biting my nails, in worry. Although it was late but Mark and I were texting.

Mark: Has she woken up yet?

You: No. They said it was a shot to the stomach.

Mark: Don't worry, The stomach isn't that serious.

You: They said that, but she's not waking up.

Mark: Its probably the medication, try to relax.

You: Fine, Talk to you later.

Mark: Bye.

I put my phone away and went back to biting my nails.

"Hello," Said the officer at the door. "My name is Officer Beacon, May I come in?"

"Uh, yeah, sure come in," I said standing up nervously.

"I'm here to let you know that we are opening an investigation,

"Wait? What?" I asked.

"It's become clear to us that someone is targeting you and your friends,"

"Wow, um, okay, Is there any suspects?" I said in a interrogating fashion.

"Not yet sadly, But we are looking into, every possibility," He said peering at me and Josh. Giving him a disgusted look my anger got the best of me.

"Okay, thanks, bye." He nodded his head and walked out.

"Looking into, every possibility." I said. "I mean seriously?! Their really suspecting us?!"

"Kat, calm down."

"I'm sorry," I replied. "I just..."

"Got really angry? Yeah I noticed." Josh pointed out.

Before I could say anything, we noticed Penny started stirring up. I went up close to her and waited for her to wake up.

"Where am I?" Penny said tiredly.

"Hey," I said softly, sitting on her bed. "You're in the hospital,"

"I am?" She whispered in a hoarse voice. "What happened? the last thing I remember is..."

"Gun shots? Running?" Josh interrupted.

"Yeah, oh my gosh, gun shots! I got shot,"she exclaimed, while remembering what happened.

"Which is why your here," I smiled sweetly.

***

"Oh! Watch your step!" I yelled.

"I'm okay Katie, relax." Penny Sighed walking into the apartment.

"And there you go," Josh sighed putting Penny on the couch.

"Benji?" I asked grabbing the remote.

"Always," She smiled.

I turned on the TV and texted Mark.

You: Hey, just brought Penny home.

Mark: Great. How's she doing?

You: Good. She says it hurts,but I imagine that's pretty normal.

Mark: Yeah. I think getting shot would hurt, pretty bad.

You: You know the cops opened an investigation?

Mark: Well, at least their finally doing their job.

You: Oh they are, me and Josh are their top suspects.

Mark: What?! that's crazy?! What evidence do they even have?!

You: None, I don't think so. They didn't officially say we were, but he implied it.

Mark: The one time they do their job they do it wrong.

You: Yep.

"Will someone get me water please?!" Penny Yelled. "I will!" I yelled back.

You: I have to go. Talk to you later?

Mark: Sure. Bye.

You: Bye.

I walked over to the kitchen grabbed a cup from the cabinet and filled it up. "Ahhhhhhh!!"

"Penny!!" I screamed. I dropped the cup and ran into the living room and there was Noel standing there on guard.

"Oh my gosh! Chill!" She yelled.

"What are you doing here?" I asked. "I just wanted to stop by to check on Penny, Jeez. I see she's on edge."

"You would be too if you got shot," She replied while sitting up.

"No, no, no," I sighed pushing her back down. "You need to lay down, you don't want to rip your stitches.

"You're going too soft Kat,"

"No, I just don't want my best friend to accidentally hurt herself." I smiled back.

"Are we watching Benji?" Noel said smiling and sitting down on the couch.

"Yep." I replied excitedly .

" I have a feeling this is going to be a very fun girls night! With, Josh.."

"Yeah, No." He replied.

"I'm going to go, find a place to hang until, it's safe too, come back." He smiled and walked out the door.

"I think we just kicked Josh out," I laughed.

The others nodding their heads in agreement while laughing.

***

The girls night was fun, but soon Noel left and it was time for bed.

"Okay, be careful." I said walking Penny to her room. "Left, Right, Left, Right,"

"Ouch!" She yelled.

"Sorry," I sighed. "Okay, now lay down," She laid down and covered up.

"Night," I whispered.

Yes. It was a good night, but we did not know what a terrible morning it would be...