Chapter 4: Plan Gone Wrong

I woke up to the sound of buzzing from my phone. Crap! I must have forgotten to turn it off Friday on my daily alarm.

I hate when I forget. I hit it once, and then hit it twice. Finally it shut up! But I can't go back to sleep in the morning because, duh, the nightmare thing.

Groaning as I get out of bed I think to myself that I can't believe I actually slept till the alarm today. But I'm glad I did. This meant that I could get better sooner.

I got up to go eat breakfast and as I walk out into the hallway I see something. Someone?It's a figure standing by the door "Penny?" It looks at me mysteriously, and suddenly runs at me as I scream!

(BUZZ BUZZ BUZZ) I wake up to the sound of my alarm. It was just a dream, Thank god. It seemed so real. I get up to go grab a glass of water from the sink.

I so need it because it felt so real. While taking a sip I see someone standing in the window. I freeze in my tracks. My dream...is it coming true?

I close my eyes while mumbling "Please be a dream, Please be a dream," Hesitantly I open my eyes. They were gone.

I don't know if I imagined it or if it was real but, in that moment, I struggled to breath. The air getting thinner, the world spinning around me, I could feel the panic attack sinking in.

I quickly took a sip of my water and finally I could breathe. Today's going to be a long day.

***

"You're total is $1.50" The woman gets her wallet out and hands me a five dollar bill. I could see three perfectly good 1 dollar bills right there in her wallet.

I just smile, give her the change, and she goes out the door. I can finally go home.

***

I pull up to see cops by my door. I walk up to the door; my eyebrows furrowed in confusion and I ask one of the officers that what was going on.

"There was a break in," I pushed my way through the officers and went inside. I walk through the door and see EMT patching up Penny's head.

"Oh my gosh Penny!" I scream rushing over to her. The feeling of worry replacing confusion as I sat next to Penny. "What happened? Are you okay?" I asked all at once.

"I came home from the café that my friend Sara was supposed to meet me at for coffee but instead she blew me off and when I came home and went into the kitchen for a snack, there was a man. When he saw me he pushed me down and ran out the door"

"This the second break in within the last week, what's going on here?" "I don't know, but I overheard one of the officers saying there's been no other break ins in the neighborhood." Penny replied.

"So it's just us?" All the sudden Josh came bursting in. "What is going on?!" Penny immediately jumped off her seat as soon as she saw josh and hugged him.

The police cleared out and we explained everything to Josh. "We think we're being targeted." I said. "Well I'd just let the police to their job." He said getting up off the couch and walked into the kitchen.

Josh just didn't want us getting hurt. But that doesn't mean we're not going to do anything if josh isn't. So it was time to concoct and plan of our own.

We told everyone we were going out to eat so they knew we'd be gone. Then we went to the store and got pepper spray and some popcorn for the movie.

***

"Okay so what are we watching?" "Bengi," Penny replies turning on Netflix.We sat there for over an hour. And nothing... "Maybe you should get Josh's old bat out now." Penny asked.

"Yeah," I said nodding my head in reassurance.I got up and searched the closet. "It's not here Penny!" I said rummaging through the junk."Go check Josh's room." She told me.

So I went to his closet. Rummaging through it I saw nothing. "Still nothing!" I yelled from his room. No answer from her.

That's weird "Penny?!" I called her out again while walking into the hallway. Penny was standing there still as a statue, with a man behind who was holding a kitchen knife.

"Whoa, please don't hurt her." I screamed. He pointed his head towards the couch, wanting me to sit down.Hesitantly, I walked over to the couch.

And on purpose, I sat on the pepper spray. He then threw Penny down on the couch and ran to the kitchen.

Sitting right next to her, I slipped her the pepper spray while butt dialing 911. Then, as he was just about to make off with all our stuff, Penny jumped up to save the day.

She quickly sprayed the pepper spray on him and somehow snapped a photo of him before he ran out the door. We went as fast as we could try to follow him but then Josh pulled up.

He got out of his car and he had been gone for about 10 minutes but all he came back with was a tired face. By that time the cops and ambulance were there and interviewing us.

Once we saw him walking back up the road we both ran up to hug him.Then when we were done doing that, I punched him.

"Don't ever do that again!" I yelled while Penny just stared angrily. He knew he was in trouble then.

***

      Luckily no one was seriously hurt. Penny did get a few cuts but that's from struggle. The only real scars formed tonight were emotional ones. And unfortunately, those kinds never fade.