2) And You Are?

You looked at the small apartment you had now rented. The demon you mugged had a lot of money on them, which you didn't mind at all since it gave you somewhere to stay until you managed to find a job. Or until you mugged someone else. You leaned back against the door as you looked over the room to see what was where and what appliances there was. In the far left-hand corner, there was a one-person bed, some splinters coming from it. There was a mattress and a white blanket folded on the lower part of the mattress. There was a window in the center of the wall opposite you that gave a view of the city and the plaza where you arrived a while ago.  In the far right-hand corner was a table. On the left side of the table was a microwave and a kettle. And on the right-hand side was a TV. On a shelf above the table, there were a few cups, plates and a few cutlery. A chair was pushed in under the right-hand side of the table. On the right-hand wall, there was a doorway, but no door, leading into the bathroom. There was a toilet, sink, and shower. And that was about it for what the apartment contained. Not exactly the height of luxury, but it would have to do.

You went and sat on the foot of the bed, counting the money you had gained. You had approximately $293, and the room cost $160 a month. Meaning that you would need to find a way to make some money. Pocketing the money, you stared at the wall, trying to accept the fact that this was all happening and that it was not a dream.

You were lost in thought, not really sure how much time had gone by, until there was a series of knocks at the door, sounding like a small melody in a way. You looked up and at the door, wondering who it could be. Maybe the landlord forgot to tell you something? You stood up and went to the door, unlocking the two locks and opened it.

The person who had knocked was a tall red demon, who seemed to be 7 feet but you weren't quite sure. You'd never been very good with people's heights. His hair was cut in a messy bob, and seemed to have fluffy ears. You couldn't tell if they were actual ears or just fluff. He had two deer like horns adorning his head. His eyes were three shades of red. He wore a red pinstripe suit, and held a cane, though the end was behind his back. He held a large grin, revealing his sharp yellow teeth, which was starting to creep you out.

"Can I help you..?" you cautiously asked, keeping your gaze on him.

"Hello dear, pleasure to meet you. I heard that you moved into this building recently?" the red demon's voice was upbeat, and he sounded rather polite.

"Erm yeah, about an hour ago I think? Or was it less time than that? I wasn't really paying much attention to the time..." you blabbered on, more to yourself, genuinely not knowing how long you had been in Hell since you didn't have any form of clock.

You stopped talking as the demon placed a finger on your lips to get you to be quiet.

"Please, dear, you are not making any sense." You pushed his hand away from your mouth, flustered. "Anyway, I must ask. Who are you?"

"Oh, I'm (Y/N). I died an hour or two ago. I was shot in the chest and left for the dead in the snow. Not sure if it was the bullet wound or hypothermia that killed me, it could be both actually." You shrugged. "Whichever it was, it made me end up here."

"Oh, were you shot on purpose or was it a hit and run?" He wondered, tilting his head to the side on curiosity.

"On purpose, I don't want to talk about it." You decided to turn the tables and now you wanted to ask some questions. "And you are?"

"The name is Alastor, dear~" Alastor paused, pulling out and looking at a pocket watch that he had in his pocket, gasping dramatically. "Maybe you think I could pop over for a cup of tea or something later so we can talk more?"

"Uh yeah I guess. I mean I just died and such, so having tea with a demon I just met is probably normal..." You mumbled. "I'll need to get some stuff though."

Alastor took both of your hands in his, placing the pocket watch in your palms, bending down slightly to look at you in the eyes at your level. You felt flustered again.

"Here, take this as you have no way of telling the time, dear."

You were about to start protesting, trying to give it back to him, but he insisted, pushing your hands and the pocket watch to your chest. You looked at the time. It was 11:42.

"Take it, please. I will come round around 2:30 if this is okay?" His head was straight again, but his ears twitched.

"Sure, sure. I'll see you then I guess."

"I'll see you later my darling~!"

You watched him walk down the hall and down the stairs to the ground floor, a spring in his step. You shut the door and quietly sat back on your bed. You examined the pocket watch more closely. It was definitely looking old, but that gave it a certain vintage appeal. It seemed to be made out of brass, and had a few carvings of symbols that were unknown to you on the front cover of it. You pushed the small button at the top and it opened. On the inside was a pair of black hands with a design that seemed like the clock face could have been on the front of a big building. You were amazed that someone you just met had offered you his own pocket watch to help you with time. You wondered about where he could have come from, what his past was, etc.. 

You layed down in bed, holding it to your chest and stared at the ceiling in wonder.