Prologue

Sofia's stepsister, Amber, remembered when she found the old Wishing Well in the garden. It happened long before Sofia freed Princess Elena of Avalor from her amulet. Amber wanted to play Blazing Badminton with Roland, but he was busy training Sofia on the obstacle course—and that made Amber jealous of her sister. Amber decided to make her father spend more time with her by getting Chef Andre to bake a blackberry pie. But while looking for a blackberry bush, Amber came across a Wishing Well, and she was given three wishes. Her first wish was for a new tiara, and the wish came true—and she made a horrible decision in her second wish: she wished for Roland to be allergic to Sofia and sneeze whenever she was around, so he'd stay away from her. The wish backfired: Sofia had turned into a purple cat, and Roland was allergic to cats. Roland didn't know the cat was his own stepdaughter, so he went off to spend time with Amber. When Amber saw that her wish went wrong, she tried to fix it. But when she tried to make her third wish, she wasn't careful in her choice of words: she wished Sofia wasn't a purple cat anymore—and when the wish was granted, Sofia turned pink. Worst of all, Amber didn't have any wishes left, which meant she couldn't fix the mess she made. Just when the sisters thought it couldn't get any worse, Sofia found herself being chased by Wormwood and Rex. Amber couldn't save Sofia, so there was only one thing she could do: get Roland for help. Roland was able to save Sofia, and he took his daughters to the Wishing Well—and it turned out he disliked the Wishing Well very much. He made a wish for Sofia to turn back to human, and it worked—but then the Wishing Well revealed that Roland now only had one wish remaining, and that meant he already made a wish before. All Roland said about that was that the wish didn't turn out very well, and he decided not to tell his daughters about it.

But then one day, Sofia found out about that first wish. It was the day she and her friends graduated from Royal Prep, and the evil Vor took over Enchancia Castle. Sofia and her best friend—and boyfriend—Prince Hugo took refuge in the Secret Library, where they learned in The Tale of Princess Sofia about Roland's first wish and the fate of his first wife, Queen Lorelei. 

Lorelei and Roland wanted a family very badly, but she was unable to give birth

Lorelei and Roland wanted a family very badly, but she was unable to give birth. Roland was so desperate to become a father that when he found that Wishing Well in the garden, he wished for Lorelei to have children. The wish came true, and twins were born: Amber followed seven minutes later by James.

But there was a great cost—Lorelei's body couldn't handle the stress of childbirth, so she fell gravely ill and died, leaving Roland devastated and the children with no mother

But there was a great cost—Lorelei's body couldn't handle the stress of childbirth, so she fell gravely ill and died, leaving Roland devastated and the children with no mother. Lorelei's death was the price Roland had to pay for his wish.

After Sofia took down Vor, she promised to never keep her magic a secret from anyone ever again—but Roland's first wish and the fate of Lorelei were the two things she knew she needed to keep a secret, especially from Amber and James

After Sofia took down Vor, she promised to never keep her magic a secret from anyone ever again—but Roland's first wish and the fate of Lorelei were the two things she knew she needed to keep a secret, especially from Amber and James. She especially didn't want Roland to know that she knew his first wish in the Wishing Well. Sofia didn't know what would happen if Amber and James knew how their mother died, but however they'd react, it wouldn't be good.

Now Sofia knew why Roland spoiled Amber so much: she was the splitting image of her mother. James looked a little like his mother, too, having the same hair color and a part in the middle. Sofia had to keep this a secret from her brother and sister, or who knows what will happen? Since Hugo himself knew about it, he promised to never say anything about this to anyone, especially Amber and James.