PROLOGUE

POPULAR TO CONTRARY BELIEF: lyric parker was not a party person. she would much rather spend her last day at hogwarts in her common room sitting by the fireplace, suffocated by tons of blankets and drinking hot tea; but instead, here she was - dragged against her own will by her best friend and boyfriend (who was off getting hammered with his thick headed friends somewhere - lyric didn't approve of this but she loved him too much to stop him) to the gryffindor common room for the annual end of the year party.

she stood next to her best friend rosie who flirted away with a cute slytherin as lyric sipped her drink slowly. the scarlet and gold room was loud and bright which went perfectly with the girl' personality but the tall hufflepuff never felt so out of place. as she looked at the smiles on the students faces and laughter flowing out of their mouths she couldnt help but feel so guilty.

guilty because it felt so wrong. didnt they remember that just a few days ago cedric diggory (hufflepuffs golden boy) was murdered in cold blood? that the boy who lived came back and cried to them that the dark lord was back? why were they celebrating? lyric parker was never a party person, but it never felt so wrong as it did in that moment.

"i'm going to get another drink." she said as she tapped her friend lightly.

"okay get me one too please!" rosie replied without looking at lyric - too busy trying to get the slytherin boy back to his dorm room.

lyric rolled her eyes and chuckled. rosie never believed in relationships and would much rather have one night stands than awkward dates and stolen kisses; but lyric didn't mind. it wasn't her place to tell her best friend what to do with her body (unless drugs and alcohol were involved - then lyric would definitely jinx ro into oblivion).

lyric walked away and tried to maneuver around the many drunk dancing teens, occasionally saying hi to a few whom she would speak to in class. she almost successfully made it to the table pilled with drinks and sweets without getting hit on or grabbed by guys who wanted to dance with her, when suddenly something cold spilled all over her white top.

she gasped at the feeling of the cold liquid - that was most definitely firewhiskey - soaking through her shirt and sticking to her chest.
"shit." a low voice said.

when lyric looked up she was met with chocolate brown eyes, that she swore became her favorite colour as soon as she looked up, and flaming red hair.

fred weasley was standing almost chest to chest with her, his cup empty of all its contents and spilled all over her top. his face almost the same colour as his hair and his mouth hanging slightly open at the sight of the pretty girl. fred knew lyric - everyone in the whole castle knew lyric parker. she was very popular due to the fact that she was incredibly kind and insanely beautiful. she was always there for those who needed help especially the young first years (even the slytherins) and was extremely loyal to the ones she loved and kept close to her heart.

but fred mostly knew her because he sort of had this well, not so small - thing for her in the fifth year when they sat next to each other in charms. he was sure his small feelings for her had passed or at least he tried his absolute best to get rid of them, considering the fact that the pretty hufflepuff was in a 5 month strong relationship with a boy who did not deserve her.

"i'm uh so so sorry." fred tried to say coolly but ended up stuttering and sounding as if he were asking her a question instead of genuinely sounding like he was being apologetic.

give him a break - lyric was just so pretty that it was hard for him to say anything around her, especially since her top was becoming quite see through and he could see a bit of her black lacy bra (forgive him, for he's just a typical hormonal 17 year old boy). lyric could see that the red headed gryffindor was starting to get nervous under her stare but she didn't understand why; she was the complete opposite of mad.

"hey, don't worry about it fred." she smiled politely and waved him off letting him know that it wasn't that big of a deal.

she took out her wand and uttered "scourgify" making the stain disappear completely and drying her shirt. "see, all better!" she cheered while pointing to the spot where the stain once was.

"you know my name?" fred blurted out. fred's face always had a slight red colour to it but he swore that his face had never been redder than it was now. he could see george and lee out of the corner of his eye laughing at him and begged to merlin that his cheeks would go back to its original colour.

"oh um, well of course I do." lyric replied. of course she knew frederick gideon weasley. he was just as popular as her (even though she never considered herself to be popular) if not more. she didn't really know much about him besides the fact that him and his twin brother were notorious for their never ending pranks and being the light at the end of the tunnel whenever hogwarts felt dark and dreary. she also knew that he was funny - extremely funny, - had a huge family that lyric had so much respect for, and was quite good looking.

she never noticed it before but fred's face was dotted with so many freckles like stars in the night sky and that just by being in the same space as him, she could feel the child like aura he was giving off.

"we sat next to each other in charms last year. you would always ask me for a quill." she chuckled.

"sorry i uh meant, how did you know that I was fred?" he said trying to mask the embarrassment he felt from his last question.

lyric was shocked. how did she know? "oh well I guess i'm just really observant? I've been told that a lot by ro. I guess I inherited it from my dad. he's a writer which is why he is very good at paying attention to things. he likes to write about strangers and how they act when they go on about their daily lives. he also adores nature and loves to look at plants and see what makes each and every one of them different. so uh yeah, I guess i'm quite observant just like him..." she rambled.

fred smiled as she untucked her chestnut brown hair from behind her ears to cover the blush that spread across her tanned face. he thought she was cute when she rambled; but before fred could reply a loud voice interrupted them.

"lyric, let's get out of here this party blows." the two teens turned around to find the source of the voice and found noah thompson (a very good looking ravenclaw who happened to be the boy who had stolen lyric's heart) looking very drunk and giving the hufflepuff girl a certain lustful look that made fred' stomach squirm.

"yeah sure love." lyric called back to him. she gave fred a friendly smile, "it was nice talking to you weasley, have a good summer." she gave him a small wave and left just as fast as she came putting her arm around noah's waist and heading back to her common room by the kitchens.

fred didn't get to say goodbye but waved regardless of the fact that she had already left leaving fred to his thoughts. acquaintances was what described their relationship. they both knew basic information about each other but never talked enough to know the way their minds worked. he wished - godric he wished - that they were friends.

"badger got your tongue freddie?" george teased his older brother as him and lee came out of hiding trying to stifle their laughter.

fred rolled his eyes, "piss off." he replied while sipping his now refilled cup.

•••

whoa this is my first harry potter fanfic and let me tell you that i am so excited for it. i love fred and it's about time i wrote something about him.