III: POTIONS AND PERHAPS A BIT OF FLIRTING

chapter three; potions and perhaps a bit of flirting

"WOULD YOU STOP GROANING alfie! it's not that bad!" lyric rolled her eyes at the boy sitting next to her

"WOULD YOU STOP GROANING alfie! it's not that bad!" lyric rolled her eyes at the boy sitting next to her. professor sprout had given them their schedule for the year while they were finishing up breakfast and though lyric was pretty pleased with hers she couldn't say the same for her friend.

"speak for yourself lyric! ive got history of magic first, double potions, and then defence last with that pink troll!" alfie groaned while pulling at his brown hair.

alfie baker was a tall, brown haired, blue eyed boy who was very dramatic. he had this boy next door look making him very attractive to many girls, but he was never into relationships; claiming that he was waiting on the right girl or boy. he was a good friend of lyric's who was also in hufflepuff - which was convenient for her considering her best friend was in gryffindor. "please trade with me, i'll do anything." he pulled at the girl's robes begging her.

"bugger off baker." she shrugged him off, straightening out her robes. she loved alfie and would probably take a curse for him, but at this moment she really wanted to hex him. alfie sighed in defeat and pulled at his hair again (something he did a lot when he was stressed), "what class do you have first?"

"potions." she replied while starting to pack up her stuff. alfie made a face but she ignored it. everyone hated potions - well maybe not the slytherins - but that was only because professor snape was the biggest git to ever exist.

it was a shame that she had such an unpleasant, ignorant, snot ball for a teacher because lyric adored potions. she excelled in it (probably because she loved to bake) and even snape couldn't pretend he didn't notice it.

he gave her a grade of an outstanding on her O.W.L.s (which was the first he ever gave in all his years at hogwarts) and would grumpily acknowledge her success, but that didn't discourage her one bit. in fact it made her proud that she could get the most pragmatic teacher in the whole school to congratulate her on her work.

"want me to walk you?" he asked her lifting his head up from his hands looking hopeful.

"no that's okay. you have history of magic first and that's all the way on the other side of the school." she replied while getting up, holding her books tightly against her chest. alfie pouted as she smirked, she knew he just wanted an excuse to be late for class.

"ugh you're no fun."

she laughed and rumpled his hair before walking out of the great hall.

◈ ◈ ◈

when lyric entered the classroom she found many eyes staring at her. some girls covered their mouths and whispered while some boys nudged and winked at each other knowing that the girl was up for grabs again; making lyric extremely uncomfortable.

she took a deep breath and walked over to a girl she knew from her house. she looked around and noticed that hufflepuff had class with gryffindor this year which made her sigh in relief and send a small thank you to the heavens.

"this year I will be pairing you all in groups of twos." snape said as he scanned the room full of seventh years; his hook nose turned upwards making him look as if he thought that they were all below him.

he read off random names until finally lyric' was called. "weasley and parker." he said as he pointed to the table filled with cauldrons in the middle of the room.

"uh, which one sir?" said george weasley, his hand slightly raised.

"does it look like I care mr. weasley?" he responded with a hint of malice.

george quickly took this as a chance to make his brother' dreams come true and shoved fred towards lyric.

fred (being the clumsy person he is) stumbled over his huge feet and bumped into lyric making the table rattle. he grabbed a hold of her waist to steady himself as she grabbed his shoulders. they both looked at each other wide eyed and pink cheeked. fred was going to murder george for this.

lyric let out the breath of air she had been holding in and blinked a couple of times. "we have got to stop meeting like this." she teased referring to last year when he bumped into her and spilled his drink over her top.

the pair slowly took their hands off each other still pink in the face (fred more than lyric) as snape gave them a look of annoyance.

fred cleared his throat and laughed lightly while rubbing the back of his neck. "what can I say parker, you've got me falling for you."

lyric' smile widened (ever the charmer weasley) and shook her head giving the boy a little nudge.

the class was told that they were to brew an acceptable draught of living death in the next hour and failure to do so would result in a fail for the first test. lyric quickly turned to the page and began to gather the ingredients. fred watched as she began to read the instructions and carefully add the ingredients into the cauldron stirring once and a while.

he knew that the girl was renowned for having the highest marks in potions (even better than hermione) and noticed that as she concentrated her tongue stuck out slightly and her forehead creased creating little lines (he had to restrain himself from smoothening them out with his fingers). lyric turned her head away from the potion and gave fred a face.

"so are you just gonna stand there all period and leave me to do all the dirty work?" she questioned while smiling.

his eyes widened, "n-no no of course not!sorry." he rushed and quickly grabbed a knife and sopophorous bean. he began cutting the bean but didn't succeed in doing so, because it kept jumping around and to his horror - almost hit lyric in the face. he started to get embarrassed in front of the girl, because he felt as if she were judging him for his lack of skill to cut up a simple bean.

but lyric wasn't judging fred one bit. in fact, she actually found it kinda cute watching him become flustered under her stare.

"as amusing as it is to watch you suffer, your savior is here to help! you have to crush it not cut it, here let me show you." she grabbed the knife from his hand, her fingers brushing along his almost making him cut himself at the feeling.

she crushed the bean with ease and squeezed the juice into the cauldron. fred pretended to applaud her as she curtsied and let out a plethora of "thank yous."

"see I could've done just that, but I wanted to do it the hard way. you know impress the ladies a little." he winked.

lyric laughed (she seemed to do that a lot around him) "i'm sure they'll be pining after you freddie, especially at that part where you almost took your eye out."

fred couldn't remember the last time he smiled this much - let alone in potions. they continued to brew their potion, occasionally teasing and poking at each other acting as if they had been friends for years. and even after snape had barked at them to stop talking and took five points from each of their houses, fred and lyric felt as if nothing could ruin their day.

'maybe potions wasn't going to be so bad this year' he thought to himself.

•••

you guys make my heart melt i swear <3