Chapter thirty-five

FORGIVENESS. That was the word boldly written on the board. It was the third period and on the class time table, we had Christian religion studies aka CRS aka Bible studies and the subject teacher was presently in class.

"Forgiveness. That's the topic we'd be treating today." Mrs Christian, the CRS teacher, said as she turned to face the class. "I want to believe the word is not new to anyone here. So who can boldly stand up and tell the class what it means to forgive?"

Adam was the only one that raised up his hands above his head. He was a bright and vocal student.

"Yes Adam." Mrs Christian gestured for him to speak. Practically everyone turned their heads back to look in our direction.

Adam rose up majestically. "To forgive simply means to let go of a grudge." He answered.

"Brilliant! Jam your hands together for him." Mrs Christian said impressively. We clapped our hands in one accord. "Any other person wants to say something before we proceed?"

Prudence lifted up her hands.

"Yes Prudence." Mrs Christian gestured for her to speak.

"To forgive means to like uh, pardon someone." Prudence said, gesticulating.

Mrs Christian curved her lips downwards and nodded her head. "That's equally correct. The word forgive literally means to let it out. To let go. Maybe you've been hurt by someone and you're saying 'I'll never forgive them unless they admit what they've done and ask for my forgiveness.' What if they never do? Or you're saying 'I'll never forgive them because of what they did to me really got to my neck..." From the corner of my eyes, I saw Adam look at me as Mrs Christian said that. "...You're not the only one that have been hurt. Jesus was hurt also. He was hurt by the ones he loved. But then, he refused to hold a grudge. Instead He prayed, 'Father, forgive them. For they know not what they do.' The instance he said those words, he moved to a different realm—and you can too!"

"Forgiveness really has nothing to do with the other person. It's a decision you make. It's like releasing carbon dioxide from your body because you know it will hurt you if you hold on to it. That's the same way it is with holding a grudge. It hurts you as an individual, even though you pretend like it doesn't. Why don't you let go off all the bitterness and unforgiveness and breath in God's love. Life's too short to keep people in the prison of your resentment. No matter how bad someone has hurt you, learn to be the bigger person by saying, 'This ends here and now, and it ends with me!' Remember Jesus told us that no matter how many times one offends us a day, we must forgive seventy times seven times. I'm sure you know what that means. And the truth is, nobody can even offend us to that extent. But the point is to always forgive, no matter the offense. Any question before I proceed further?" Mrs Christian asked and kept quiet, waiting for a question from us.

One thing I liked about Mrs Christian was her teaching and how she gave ample room for questions. Her teaching today made me reflect on my relationship with Peter. I was much too full of resentment towards Peter. How could I forgive him despite how bad he had hurt me? It wasn't as easy as one might like to think. It was easier taught than done. But still, I made a mental note to confront him to hear his explanation for the video footage.

Peter raised his hand and stood up to ask a question. For some reason, my heart skipped a beat. "Ma, so you're saying if I've offended someone here, once I ask for forgiveness, it would only be good for the person to forgive me, right?" He asked

"Yes, even before you ask." Mrs Christian answered.

"Okay but what if the person doesn't and on my part I'm really sorry?" Peter probed further.